About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, October 22, 2015

Golden Days...




Kicking up leaves...

The Piney...

The bluff...

Shagbark Hickory...Love that shaggy look!

The young Bur Oak has acorns ~ five of them...

The largest acorn of our native oaks...up to 2 inches in diameter.  What a  gorgeous fringed cup...

Out of the dye pot ~ washed, dried and ready...

Practicing the stitches...




15 comments:

  1. Wonderful earthy colors too! Such pretty stitches Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This small cloth is another of the leaf printed ones; such a pretty background for stitching. It has been too long since I worked some of the basic stitches. So, here goes... Sky water coming down this morning! What a blessing!

      Delete
  2. My husband's all time favorite tree is the Bur Oak. He grew up in Phoenix, so he didn't meet his first Bur Oak until he and I encountered them in Texas together. But we've managed to plant one just about everywhere we've lived (at least in those states where they'll thrive).

    Your stitches are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the oaks...all of them! How wonderful that you have left behind a trail of Bur Oaks! No doubt, Mother Earth thanks you!

      Delete
  3. beautiful pictures. The big acorns are amazing. We have a big oak tree in the front yard, it is raining down acorns, but they are about dime size. their small, but there are plenty of them. Winter is right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old-timer once said that when the acorns fall, we must have rain so they will sprout. Otherwise, they will rot and be useless as food for the critters come winter. So, it is good that we are getting rain this morning. I really kind of look forward to winter...a nice change of pace.

      Delete
  4. A little preview of what's to come. Love it. Autumn is looking wonderful with its beautiful colors in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, change is coming, for sure. I am sure you are already feeling the nip of old Jack Frost. But, you have your stitching to keep you busy. I will think of you when the cold winds blow!

      Delete
  5. Love your pictures! We've had deer coming to our yard to eat acorns.
    The acorn with the fringed cap only needs dots for eyes, an apple stick for a body, and a little dress made from your dyed fabrics, to become a precious handmade dolly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squirrels have been busy today, so I decided to take the acorns before they did. But, since the acorns had not fallen yet, I was afraid taking them might trigger some unnatural response in the young tree, so I only took three and left two. I can see your little acorn people created from them. :~) What a stylish cap they would have! Even I would love a cap like that!

      Delete
  6. I'll never get over the beauty of nature and your skill for photography. The detail of the 12 inch acorn is amazing. No doubt there was fun "kicking the leaves" with those painted brown shoes. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethann, there are so many pretty pictures out there in the fall just waiting for us to find them! The little brown shoes belong to the new little girl. I am now working on her dress. Of course, it is brown.

      Delete
  7. Great pictures! I haven't seen a shag bark hickory in a long time. So cool. Yesterday it rained and a lot of the beautiful leaves were falling off the tree. A orange/red carpet on the ground! So beautiful, but glad I don't have to rake them!

    ReplyDelete