About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Friday, October 9, 2015

Just when I thought the last one was gone...




He seemed so hungry!  Intent only on feeding, this little Ruby-Throated Hummingbird paid no attention to me at all.  His table was set well...two feeders still hanging, and Bat Faced Cuphea and other flowers still blooming galore... but it was the Monrovia's firecracker plant on which he dined.





A jungle of Bat Faced Cuphea (Cuphea llavea)



One has to wonder why some of these little critters are so late.  Migration is a serious thing.  Is this one making his way more slowly because he is younger, and possibly weaker, thus feeding more as he journeys southward?  If so, I hope he got his belly full at this pit stop.  I saw him again a couple of times at one of the feeders, so I was thankful that I had left them hanging.
Even a hummingbird could get lost here...

Just ask the Rusty Rooster...

Intent on feeding on Monrovia's Firecracker Plant...

And, just for the record, as I write this at 5:30 p.m. October 9, he is at a feeder.  I hope he knows, if he plans to spend the night, that we will be getting somewhat cooler this evening...




12 comments:

  1. Such a sweet little treat for both the hummer and for you as well. Your flowering blooms looks so pretty. I hope they don't freeze over too quickly. We were told we would have a beautiful and warm Saturday and that it would be wise to use this time to Winterize the yard and the house. The Fall colors are so pretty but disappearing quickly; the leaves are laying on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freezing temps are right around the corner, for sure. I see you are going to be getting into the 30s next week. I wonder if this little hummer might have come a long ways already...maybe even from North Dakota or farther north into Canada. I thought he seemed tired.

      Delete
  2. This little Humming Bird seems to be in a state of blissfulness and who can blame him in your lovely garden. Hope he doesn't get cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fest he has upon his plate! What tempting morsel to delay his journey, with no others to battle for food! I heard that this year we would have a long fall. Maybe the hummer knows something. Such a sweet treat for you and your visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still have one Hummer loitering at the last feeder we left for the stragglers. We are still a ways from freezing temps but next week is a little cooler. Predictions for the winter are above average snow for the NC mountains. Maybe I need to go south with the Hummers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor little straggler. I hope he makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That gorgeous Bat Faced Cuphea is new to me -- these photos are spectacular.

    I've been enjoying catching up here....I love the doll's hair with the button, it's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flowers are pretty and so good you have so much. Atleast the little bird has plenty to eat, and hopefully he knows what to do. I think they are pretty strong. We see the hummers alot here and sometimes you see one when you don't expect it. It is of course much warmer here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With such an abundant supply of nectar, he must have been stuffed. I saw an unusual site last week, a hummer hovering in front of the window for the longest time. There were no blooms there, just the glass...it was as if he were admiring himself. My peacocks do that all the time. Love the rusty rooster and the tin bucket amidst the blooms,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh such beautiful color for this time of year! We need rain so badly here!
    I don't have hummers, only crows, foraging for pecans. Can they count?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This little hummimg bird must hurry.
    I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete