About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, November 19, 2015

Ruffles and Rain...









And the rains came down, for two days, soaking the earth and filling the streams to overflowing.  It was a wonderful time...even to make ruffles.

Perhaps I should hang a sign on the sewing room door, with the Las Vegas iconic advertising campaign slogan, "What happens here, stays here."  Oh, the stories this little doll could tell...countless face and hair makeovers, three torso revisions, two sets of legs and feet.  But, finally here she is...including that infamous dress with an attached ruffle.  Hopefully, I have learned a lot.  I think my next doll shall be one styled after the old Skookum Indian souvenir dolls.  Thankfully, they don't wear ruffles!
















18 comments:

  1. Beautiful girl and sweet dress with great fabrics, she was well worth all that extra effort. Your woods look just like mine....the Swan Creek has been rollin' like a freight train for 2 days. I love those Snookum dolls too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabrics are rather old. The stripes were small scraps found in Mom's sewing things, and the brown I know nothing about, except that it had another life in another time. I love the sound of rushing water. Can you hear Swan Creek from your porch?

      Delete
  2. She has such a sweet expression! I believe she was just waiting for the right time to be finished. The dress is pretty too, and you did a good job on the ruffle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gathers in the bodice front and the ruffle make this dress look old, I think. The one doll dress I still have that Mom made has a ruffle around the bottom, of course. Probably took her 5 minutes! :~)

      Delete
  3. Oh my, what a beautiful face on this doll, so serene. I think she is very pleased with her new duds, beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judi! I am glad to finally have her finished...time to move on!

      Delete
  4. Ruffles make me cringe too. But she's beautiful in her new clothes. You live in a magical place, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I thought of you when I was making the buttonholes on the back of this dress. I have been making hand stitched ones for all the doll clothes, but you inspired me to use the machine this time.

      Delete
  5. I see that the belt on her dress matches the ribbon on her shoes. She really has a nice outfit to wear now. It fits her well. I like the finished results of all your hard work. You have a nice companion in your sewing room to keep you company during the winter months. Your scenery pictures are wonderful and beautiful to look at. We have finally had our very first cold spell with some snow falling. Wind blew for almost 24 hours. We definitely need our snow boots and winter gear on to go outside. Snow did not last; but the weather is cold. I think it was 17 degrees this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite observant, Sandra. The belt and shoe ribbons do match. The only buckle I could find was silver with rhinestones on one side, so I flipped it over and painted the entire buckle. Sometimes we just have to make do. :~) I am still keeping up with North Dakota weather, so think about you almost every day. The Weather Channel says Crosby will be 13 in the morning. It seems like there has been a lot of wind already, but that may be common for the northern plains. Remember "Buttons and patches..."

      Delete
  6. It has been raining here too. the lake is up. It is not cold though, not yet. Your doll's clothes are very pretty. I have always like stripes and the apron and her shoes all go together just right. She is sweet and quiet in her expression. I also like her hair pulled back on her head.You do live in a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, we are happy to be getting rain again. September and October were very dry months. I like stripes too, but they are getting a bit hard to find. I really wanted the contrasting brown to be a lighter shade of brown, but didn't have one that would work. I am kind of stuck on sculpting the hair, but it is a pain sometimes. Wish I could paint it on like you do!

      Delete
  7. Oh my!! She is just beautious!! I love her!! I love the stripes :-)
    Blessings, xx Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. No matter how many changes she went through, she's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful finished product! No one would know you struggled. It fits her perfectly. Oh my, your pictures are so inviting. I live on a hill with pastures. Just a few trees scattered about, so enjoy your "wooded" scenery. The rain was very welcomed here, as it's been dry. I look forward to your next doll. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valuable articles, I learn a lot of things, thank you for sharing!


    Apple MacBook Laptop HD Wallpaper

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good blog you have here. Keep Your Work Up....

    HD Wallpapers

    ReplyDelete