About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Grey Days...



Not so bad, really....   I think I like grey.
















13 comments:

  1. Your stitching is exquisite. As a long time embroiderer, I know how long that took. Do we get to see what it's about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have no plan; just hoping this takes me somewhere. I so like the feel of a needle and thread in my hands.

      Delete
  2. These are some gorgeous grey days -- your photos, stitching, cardinals! We envy your cardinals, they still haven't moved far enough west to land in Denver, CO although I hear they're not too far away, there are a few sightings every year. Have a lovely week, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been no snow yet, so we must make do with grey. Of course, it is still early in the season. How beautiful your snow covered mountains must be now. I have not started feeding the birds this year, so just try to catch them by surprise. On this particular day, several cardinals were dining on Hackberries.

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures. Love the birds and the big grey bird too. We see alot of red birds here. Grey is a wonderful color. There are alot of beautiful antique grey pieces of fabric to be had. I guess they used to use grey as a daily dress color as well as brown, or madder brown, but the grey had many uses and I don't think everybody appreciates what a grand dress they make. Your stitching is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when I didn't want to use grey at all, but time is changing my tastes, it seems. Now, I even like grey and brown together. I will pay close attention to see if any of your dolls end up dressed in an old grey piece. I think the blue grey coloring of the Great Blue Heron is just magnificent. I am sure you see these big birds often along your lake's edge.

      Delete
  4. Grey is good! It gives me the opportunity to see thru the trees to see what lay beyond. Plus when there are any "colors" around like cardinals...they really stand out and are beautiful to look at this time of the year. Happy sewing to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to "see what lays beyond." :~)

      Delete
  5. I've noticed, on home renovation projects, grey is a very popular color. Too many grey days give me a chance to work inside, happily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to be more of a brown person, but some grey has a way of creeping in. I think of you on grey days and wonder about the stitches you are making...

      Delete
  6. That's some mighty fine stitchin', can't wait to see the rest. Too many gray days around here too, but this afternoon the sun was shining, so the fellas sat on the porch wrapped in their afghans & soaked up some rays. I couldn't help but giggle at them, it made the cabin look like an old folks home. I have a spare bedroom, maybe I should advertise for another border and make a few bucks along the way! tee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed going back and forth with stitches, learning and relearning. We, too, have been soaking up some good ole' Ozarks sunshine...even had our morning coffee on the porch. I am sure a boarder would have a lovely stay at your cabin. :~)

      Delete
  7. Such beauty in nature, I especially love the Cardinals. You're hand is well done. I need to learn some of these gorgeous stitches for doll costuming purposes.

    ReplyDelete