About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, January 21, 2016

Baskets, Blankets, and Books...











If one should take a look around our home, it wouldn't take long to notice the Baskets Blankets, and Books.  Throughout the years, they have just gradually made their way in...one here, one there... until, now, there's quite a collection.

With my love for old woolen blankets of beautiful designs, it's no wonder that I fell hard for the old Indian Skookum dolls, for they really are all about the blankets in which they are wrapped.  And, I have never seen two of these dolls wearing blankets with the same colors and design.

For some time, I had been watching for an old blanket in which I could cut smaller blankets for the Skookum style dolls I enjoy making.  Recently I finally caught the bid for an old "cutter" blanket that I thought would work nicely.  Now, even though it is quite thread bare where it has been folded, has several holes here and there, and some frayed edges (which I rather like), I am wondering if I will ever have the courage to cut into this wonderful old blanket.  I wonder if I might, instead, with tiny stitches, over and under, save this beautiful old blanket...








~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. I think the blanket would prefer the idea of becoming part of beautiful art and being enjoyed, rather than being kept in limbo, nobody using it to keep warm. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty baskets and books. The blanket is a show piece. I do not cut up an antique piece of clothing if it's in perfect condition or is something of historical value, but if it's got holes and bad places I see nothing wrong with giving it a new life. It's a glorified way of recycling in my eyes. Otherwise, it would just end up lost to history or on a trash heap. You make such beautiful dolls, the blanket would only give them a authentic tasteful quality to be passed on and enjoyed. My vote is, cut up the blanket!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you will find the perfect project to use the blanket. Happy you were able to get it. It goes well with all your other treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutting up anything old and pretty is a hard decision. It would make wonderful blankets for your dolls if the pattern is the right size, otherwise it would not make sense. I have cut up pieces to re use for the dolls too. The baskets, blankets and other things in your house are really nice. Your dolls in the cabinet are super nice too. If I cannot make a decision, I put the item away for awhile and think about it, and you will be able to better decide what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely get your dilemma because the blanket is beautiful. Maybe you can just shorten it and still hang/display it somehow. But if you do cut it up, I know you'll honor it in the way you use the pieces so there's really no right or wrong. About anything. Love your photos, Mary -- I always do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post, as I enjoy a sneak peek into your lovely collection, especially the baskets. I, too, have wrestled with the dilemma of cutting something up that is vintage. We look forward to your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful colors in the old blanket. I can see why you would consider doing a repair. I too enjoy the old baskets, books and blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo! Those books look inviting to read!! :-)
    Wow! That blanket is marvelous!! Perfect for the dolls, and yet
    I too would struggle hard to cut it!! :-)
    I love the beautiful Indian Skookum dolls!! The expressions
    on all three of their faces are just priceless!!
    Sending warmth and love, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mother Indian must have had a spat with hubby, she has a definite look of disdain on her face, It's great! Really neat dolls. It would be difficult to cut into an old woolen blanket, like cutting up an antique quilt, OUCH! On the other hand, it is for a good and artistic purpose, and you will let nothing go to waste, I am sure. I have a basket habit myself, at last count 86 of them.

    ReplyDelete