About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Picture of the Year, 2015...




#1  ~ Ribbon of Blue



#2 ~ Relishing the Harvest




#3 ~ He's Not Heavy...




And, honorable mention....

Best Dressed...


There's always a picture just waiting to be found, and how I enjoy the hunt!  I click, click, and click when I am out and about.  The Mr. reminds me, jokingly, that I might run out of film.  How well I remember those days!

Many of the photos I take are not worthy of taking up space on the "chip", and end up in the recycle bin.  But, ever so often, there will be one that strikes my fancy and ends up saved into the picture file for that year.  And, then, there are times when I like so many that I have trouble deciding what to delete and what to keep.  

The new picture file for 2016 is set up now, so I am already out scouting for a great shot and hardly leave the house without my camera hanging around my neck.  But, before we get too far into the new year, we, at Chip Butter White Oak, have taken a look back and selected a few of our favorite photos from which we have chosen this year's "Picture of the Year."  It was not easy.

Of course, it was a given that among those chosen, there would be a stream of water, at least one cow, and an oak tree, for that's really what we are all about here.  Therefore, I was delighted that one of my dolls should be in the running again this year for Picture of the Year. This photo of Morning Star was just one of those impromptu shots that I snapped when planning how she would be dressed, and her clothing was only pinned in place.  I think the ragged edge on the blanket is what swayed the judges.... (Or possibly, because of the American Indian blood that flows in the Mr.'s veins! )

It is only fitting that "Ribbon of Blue" should be chosen as "Picture of the Year, 2015"  for, thanks to El Nino, or whatever, this small stream has seen flooding rains again and again.  Of course, as I always add, we are thankful.  Rain is a blessing!


7 comments:

  1. I love every one :-)
    My step daughter gave me a neat organizing case for all my photo cards!! I love taking my camera everywhere, but I never seem to have it when the Amish hang out their laundry a quilts!! ;-)
    I love seeing all of your LOVELY pictures, and creations!!
    Many Blessing and warmth Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the pictures you have chosen!
    Living in such a beautiful place and witnessing its views must be a blessing.
    Kindly greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I used to nag Sherri to write a book on making the authentic hand-sewn cloth dolls, and now it's time to nag you. Yes, you need to publish a photography book. That's all there is to it. (My favorite is the glossy black cow and calf...but I'm a very appreciative carnivore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your top 3 but your honourable mention is my favourite! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's my favorite....OMG, I can't choose! I love all your photo. I'm not that great at snapping pics, but manage to do a fair job. Usually I have fingerprints on the lens or not enough light...So I really enjoy GOOD photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your wonderful photos. They tell such fine stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful pictures always. I like the cows too. they are very fine. The doll is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete