About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, January 4, 2016

A Beginning...






 To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of the arts.  Every man is tasked to make his life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour...

                                                                                             ~Henry David Thoreau



6 comments:

  1. I thought I had that for a minute, but I think the meaning is just beyond my grasp. I understood our life should be such as to be worthy of someone thinking enough of who we are and what they know we have done in life to take the time to think on it. but the elevated and critical hour is over my head. HaHa. It is probably simple, but I must be really simple not to understand. You did make me try to figure it out though. I guess to affect the quality of the day is to do everything in our power to make it as good as we can. I have to stop now, my head is starting to smoke from to much thinking. HaHa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, I surely did enjoy your comments on the Thoreau quote, and even had a chuckle or two. I think you were right on when you said, "to affect the quality of the day is to do everything in our power to make it as good as we can." However, "contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour" may be a bit over my head too, but it surely does sound grand doesn't it? :~) I like to think of a day as being like an artist's canvas, and our good deeds are strokes of beauty on the canvas, but our not- so-good deed are ugly globs on it. Now, I will stop too, for I think my head is starting to smoke a bit too. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like and thought about this quote, too -- to me it's mindfulness -- to use our greatest awareness for everything, to find the sacred in the ordinary. OK, now my head is smoking....

    Gorgeous photo, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could only wake up and see such a beautiful scene as this I think the tasks of life would be a thrill! What a fine quote indeed and an absolute stunning photo. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful view of a calming lake, perfect quote to wake me up and pay attention to what a lazy lump I have been lately!!!! :-)
    You opened a great dialog with this great thinker/writer ~ Thoreau!! I enjoyed reading through the comments!!
    Many Blessings, Joy and warmth,xx Linnie

    ReplyDelete