About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, January 31, 2016

Who Took My Glove?













Perhaps you could carry it back between your teeth or in your beak and place it on the Chip Butter Trail where you found it. It was one of a pair of favorite winter gloves - warm and soft.  It had to be there on the trail - just slipped out of my pocket where I had put it when I snapped a few pictures.  Once I discovered that it was missing and had retraced my steps back up the trail, across Upper Meadow, down to Little Walden Pond (Upper Pond), and back to Trail's End, you had already found  it.  Naughty you!

I have suspects, for I often see these critters as I walk the trail.  Let's line them all up and look each one in the eye...  Oh, but they all look so sweet and innocent, don't you think?




Suspect #1 - Calf - rambunctious and ornery        

Suspect #2 - Crow - pesky and ever-watchful

Suspect #3 -  Coyote -  wily and cunning 

Suspect #4 - Whitetail Deer - swift and fleet of foot

Suspect #5 - Ferrell hog -  tenacious and destructive 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18 comments:

  1. If I came across a ferrell hog, it would be the last walk I took, LOL I hope you find your glove,♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hogs are more afraid of me than I am of them. It is the sows with young piglets that I fear most. Do you have ferrell hogs in Vermont?

      Delete
    2. Probably but I have not heard of any, our neighbor, New York state, has a problem with them being very destructive so I heard on the news a few months ago and they were planning a big hunt.

      Delete
  2. What a fun format for a photo shoot! :~D And what a photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working my way through a 20 weeks photography course, so... And, I love it! But, I am still working on dolls.

      Delete
  3. Great photo's; you are surrounded by beauty. You have a lot of probabilities on who or what found you glove too! I do hope you find your glove. Stay safe on those walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started making that walk for health's sake, and before long was carrying a camera on my shoulder. It has been a good thing for me.

      Delete
    2. I started walking (on the treadmill) January 1st, 2016. I started slowly and have built up to walking 5 days a week. I try and do four miles every morning. It cuts into my craft/sewing time; but I need to do this for my health. I am hoping it will make me look and feel better. I have recently stopped having to take two medications for my Cancer (2013). I feel like I can start getting back to my self pre-cancer.

      Delete
  4. Oh Miss Chip!!
    That is a HOOT!! Hmmmmm who could have made off with your glove??!!Shameless critter!! :-)
    I had this happen to me once, and I didn't go far before I realized that it was missing! It was windy but I was determined to find it to no avail!! Next summer a long waaaay away in the brush, waaaay over on the other side, was my partially devoured~weathered glove that was surely dragged a way as some sort of lowly prize!! Chuckle!!! I liked those gloves!! We need those mitten clips that we had as children!!
    Miss Chip you have shared some wonderful "suspect" photos!! I wanted to guess, but they all look so innocent!! ;-)
    Warmth Joy and Blessings, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitten clips...hadn't thought of those! I got a new coat for Christmas and the pockets aren't so large and deep as they are on the old coat. (But the coat is warmer.) It is possible that my glove will be found in about the same condition as yours. I keep looking.

      Delete
  5. LOL I agree with Judi; ferrell hogs can be vicious! Let's see ~ I think the cattle took it; I know how curious they are about everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cattle are certainly good suspects. If a calf took it, it would mean I lost it toward the end of my walk. I have walked that area out several times, but it seems each cow paddy looks just like the glove. :~(

      Delete
  6. It is bad to loose things you really like so much and need. If you have a pair of binoculars you can scan the sides of where you walk further out. Just a thought. Who dunnit? Who indeed. You might never know, unless it's the cows, they might have ate it. the crows could have took it too. They like things they find and are big enough to fly off them. I guess you better go shopping and get some more, and be sure you have them in a safe place, like a sack with a strap around your shoulder. I do hope you find it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I found the glove yesterday! It was down the hill below the trail right at the edge of the pond. No doubt, one of the calves picked it up when the cattle went to water. It had a couple of marks on it, probably teeth, but was not harmed. I am glad to have it back. The gloves were a gift from my daughter - nice suede leather ones. I won't take them on the trail again.

      Delete
  7. I could hardly imagine any of those sweet critters thievin' yur glove.........till I saw those hogs! I came upon one once, a 300 pounder (according to the neighbor that saw it too. He was mighty ferocious lookin' and scared the bejesus outta me. No doubt in my mind, they're the culprits!
    Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hogs are ferocious lookin' aren't they. Hubby has trapped quite a few and when they are captured in the trap, they would eat you alive if they could. But, really they were last on my suspect list; just wanted you to see these handsome fellows. I found the glove. Read my comment to Martha.

      Delete
  8. My vote is for suspect #1 - Calf. They are sooo curious and playful and will nibble on jackets, fingers...if you get too close and they are use to you. My husband has a dog brush hanging on the fence and when he feeds the calf, he will also brush him occasionally. The early morning feeding is before the sun comes up, so my husband had a light he strapped to his head so he could see. One day he set the strap on the fence and forgot about it. Next time he saw it, the poor thing was pulled off the fence and was in the middle of the pasture all busted up. We had a chuckle over that. Good luck on the search. I hate loosing my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never take another walk if I came upon one of those hogs! Glad we don't have them here!

    ReplyDelete