About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, February 8, 2016

Millie...




Each week our local animal shelter publishes three or four "Pet of the Week" photos and descriptions.  The following appeared in last week's paper.

PET OF THE WEEK - Millie is a six month old female Australian shepherd mix that is available for adoption at Needy Paws Animal Shelter.  According to a spokesperson from Needy Paws, "Millie is a super sweet, good-natured dog who would get along great with kids or other pets."  If you can give Millie or any of the other dogs and cats at Needy Paws Animal Shelter a home, go by the shelter....




And, that's how Millie came to live with us.  She's a sweetie and has already stolen my heart.  She loves hiking the trail with me, and I surely do love having her along.  She's good medicine, for sure!




19 comments:

  1. Millie is one lucky pup. And a pretty one too. Happy for all of you. I could see how she could steal your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie is lucky, I think...almost as lucky as we were to have found such a precious little dog.

      Delete
  2. Millie is very photogenic & I would imagine we'll get to see many beautiful photos in the future!
    She is one lucky doggie for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am sure Millie will show up here quite often. :~) On our first walk, I didn't get one good photo because she kept her nose to the ground the entire time...so many strange new scents, I suppose.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to get a sweet dog. If we could we would have lots more. We now have a resident possum who waits every afternoon in the car port for supper to be served. Millie is a pretty dog and a good size. A happy situation for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, it is, for sure, a happy situation for both Millie and me. I am working hard to train her properly, and talk to her as though she were my best friend. She turns her sweet little head to one side as though trying to understand what I am saying. Together, she and I may turn out a few more dolls than I have done lately! :~) (I am working on a couple...really I am!)

      Delete
  4. Oh my what a wonderful present for you both and Millie. I know we are enjoying our new rescue pup, Tucker so I know what you mean that she has stolen your heart, sometimes those eyes just melt your soul. Looking forward to stories of you and Millie's adventures together and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi, I thought of you and your sweet Tucker when I filled out the adoption papers. Her eyes do melt my soul! I wouldn't allow myself to walk through the shelter looking at the other dogs because of those eyes.

      Delete
  5. Oh she's beautiful. I'm sure Millie is having the time of her life walking and exploring the trails with you. So glad you rescued her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie has walked over the trail with me for four days now, and each day she gets a bit braver. Today, she waded a bit in the pond for the first time. With her by my side, the hills don't seem so steep and the trail doesn't seem so long.

      Delete
  6. Millie is so wonderful. And her eyes!
    Great you took her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! Congratulations to you and Millie both! Here's to many many trail walks and great discoveries together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo!! What a CUTIE~PIE!! (We have an Aussie our 2nd one, they are so smart and lovey)
    Millie is so pretty and the brindle is gorgeous!! Have fun and JOY :-)
    Warmth Love and Blessings, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at that face! How could anyone say no to her! You have a wonderful companion now and will have many great walks and she may even help you if you loose something along the trail....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad the two of you got together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Millie is an absolute darling girl -- that face and those eyes and her toes! Oh my. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think i'm gonna cry.... from happiness. I love a wonderful adoption story. Millie is a lucky little gal and will be your friend forever. I am always heartened to see how many fine people take in the homeless animals and give them a good life, so happy for Millie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this.
    ___________
    bloom tattoos

    ReplyDelete