About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, September 22, 2016

Turning Pages ~ Part 2...







Word must have gotten out that I have a liking for hawks for another paid us a visit a couple of  mornings ago.  I think this is a different one for he is definitely larger than the hawk that was here before.  I was able to get a few shots of him in action through my kitchen window as he hunted for breakfast right out our back door.  I am not sure what kind of hawk he is.  My grandmother would probably just call him a "chicken hawk," and, with concern for her barn yard flock, would summon my grandfather to get his gun.






Swooping down for some small prey...



Nutritious, no doubt...



Summer's last hike on the Chip Butter Trail...



The sweet, sweet fragrance of muscadine fills the air along the trail...



Millie ~ One ear up and one ear down ~ It seems that's the way it's going to be.  I love her either way!



6 comments:

  1. Great photo's of the hawk. Are you outside when taking these pictures? You have your own little paradise where you live! ;) So exciting to see your newest doll creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos. You are favored by the hawks! I look forward to seeing the finished Bully Good Indian. Enjoy the last days of summer.....fall colors are just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see this. I haven't blogged in a while, nor read from my list, but I thought of you this morning and wondered how you were. Millie is a fine companion, and her ear position is an indication of a good, balanced personality. ;-) Maybe that is the same hawk, but grown up? He's decided that's his territory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birds are so amazing. What would it be like to fly, gliding on the wind and the have to most incredible eye sight? Swooping, diving, just soaring. Wow. Fun to watch. It's the best entertainment around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't nature wonderful. I get a glance at a Hawk every now and then on our biking trails here in Ohio and occasionally a swoop around our yard since we feed the little birds and squirrels.

    Thanks for sharing. I especially like the photo of the Hawk perched on the weathervane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hawks!! Great pictures!! :-)
    Thanks for a more than lovely tour of your hike!!! XXX OOO Linnie

    ReplyDelete