About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, September 17, 2016

Turning Pages...








"...Another fall, another turned page:  there was something of jubilee in that annual autumnal beginning, as if last year's mistakes had been wiped clean by summer."
      ~Wallace Stegner, Angle of Repose

Summer seemed very big this year!  I am so ready to turn another page to that "annual autumnal beginning."

 However, there are some things about summer's ending that bring on a bit of melancholy - things like bidding farewell to many of our favorite summer tenants - the little hummers who have delighted us since early spring, and other feathered ones, such as a pair of Broad-Winged Hawks that took up residence just back of our house.  They seemed to have had a liking for the old catalpa tree at the meadow's edge which gave them a bird's eye view of garden, orchard, and meadow as they searched for food.

 I haven't seen one of these hawks for a few days, so their migration must have begun.  My Audubon Field Guide says, "It is best known for its spectacular migrations; often thousands of birds travel together, with single flocks numbering up to several hundred individuals."  It's hard to imagine that there's one hawk among all those thousands that is my special hawk.  I hope he will be back in the spring.


















15 comments:

  1. Glad to see a post, I've been missing your words of wisdom! Summer in the Ozarks has been so nice I too will miss it! Amazing that the hawks were so close you could photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have neglected my poor blog, for sure! Wallace Stegner has so many words of wisdom. Wish I had the time to read all of his works.

      Delete
  2. I have missed seeing hawks, owls and other wild life since moving from the prairie farmhouse to living up higher on the hills. We have a black squirrel that is a frequent visitor as well as a lot of bunnies. Doves are plenty, but no hummers sadly. Love seeing your photo's. Wishing you a Happy and Healthy Fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you are enjoying your new home higher on the hills, even though you will miss the prairie when the blizzards come howling across the land. I have never seen a black squirrel. I love the bunnies but haven't seen many this year because coyotes are quite numerous around here.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I agree it's hard bidding farewell to our feathered friends and other tenants that grace our landscapes. Your home is such an inviting place that they are bound to return once again in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of birds that winter here. In bad weather I put feed out for them.

      Delete
  4. Ron Johnson here, having lunch with my mother. Yesterday was her birthday, always my marker for the beginning of fall. We filled the hummingbird feeder, wondering if it will be the last time this year, hope our birds stop by you all on their way south

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each day, there are fewer and fewer of the little hummers. I may be feeding your little ones as they head south.

      Delete
  5. pretty pictures as always. I am sad to leave summer behind some, but looking forward to cooler fall weather. Fall is my favorite time of year. We have real big geese, I guess that is what they are, but they stay here most of the year, because it is warm here, lots of time even in the dead of winter. Thanks for sharing pictures of your pretty home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is my favorite time of year too. You know I won't be able to resist putting some fall pictures here! It is still hot here during the day, but cools off quickly in the evening. I am sure you will enjoy some cooler weather by the lake.

      Delete
  6. I think that these seasonal changes--the birds leaving and the leaves turning--are some of the most reassuring things about fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are getting our very first taste of fall today, and I am loving it! While we prepare for the birds' departure, others are looking forward to their arrival. And, that is reassuring, for sure!

      Delete
  7. I so look forward to fall. It's like changing of the guard - time to slow down, enjoy the cool days and nights, getting away from all the hustle and bustle of summer. The gate is open and we can take a long stroll and enjoy the best season of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...like changing of the guard..." I like this! "The gate is open and we can take a long stroll and enjoy the best season of the year." What great comments, Cindy!

      Delete
  8. great picture taking. the hawks are beautiful and your dog is so sweet. I am sure you love him so much. Pets take over your life and give so much love in return. Your home is wonderful and I know you enjoy it everyday. I sure would.

    ReplyDelete