About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Friday, October 28, 2016

In which Millie and I go in search of fall...















13 comments:

  1. Fantastic findings in your search for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Millie and I are a bit disappointed in this fall's showing...or maybe it is just late because of the unseasonably warm weather.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous surroundings and Millie seems to be captivated. Always love your photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Millie was really more keen on what she might see or hear in the woods that surround the pond.

      Delete
  3. very pretty there. I know you are enjoying the cooler weather. Millie is sweet and a good companion. The leaves are turning here, but we haven't had much rain in the last 6 weeks. It is still hot during the day, but lots cooler at night. I do love fall too. Be careful in your walks, but enjoy every minute you are out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, our weather sounds a lot like yours...hot during the day, but cooler at night. I always carry a stick when I am out and about. The worst thing that has happened to me was once getting caught out in a thunderstorm. At that time Nell was with me and we huddled together until Dan came looking for me. Nell would never leave my side. Millie is off to a great start in becoming the loyal companion that she was.

      Delete
  4. I like the reflection of the trees in the water on the second photo. The color of trees are beautiful in the third photo. Enjoy your walks; before the snow falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned to get those reflections late in the day just before the sun sets. These very warm, almost hot days, almost makes me wish for a bit of snow. Are you ready for it? I enjoyed your photos of the black squirrel that Sherri sent. Do they change colors in winter? I am sure Millie would love to give them a good chase right up tree.

      Delete
  5. Millie's not a puppy anymore! She is gorgeous, and has such striking colors in her coat. Your surroundings always make me long for some place with trees (we're in a desert, even if it's not the low desert) and I'm glad you go out in it to enjoy. :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puppies grow up too fast! I also love the colors in her coat...makes me think of fall. I told her one day that I would like to always dress in those same colors. Your high desert is quite beautiful even without trees. I am calling our place the Dry Divide because we haven't had rain in awhile.

      Delete
  6. Your trees are much prettier than ours. Sadly, it isn't pretty at all in my neck of the woods. Happy Halloween! Millie sure takes a pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually our trees aren't all that pretty either. The maples are making a pretty good show now, but most of the oaks are just going brown. I think Millie is beautiful!

      Delete
  7. Ooo so lovely there Miss Chip!! :-)
    Millie is so pretty too!!
    Sending warmth! Many Blessings, Linnie

    ReplyDelete