About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, November 19, 2016

A Warm Fire...





It was a chilly morning here in the Ozarks, following the first, at our house, of the extra-blanket nights, for fall has come late this year.  We enjoyed our breakfast beside a toasty warm fire in the wood-burning stove.  I think Ten Bears in the movie, Dances With Wolves, had it about right.  Talking of simple pleasures before a good fire may be better than anything.


With Ten Bears, it was always more than a while.  There was purpose in everything he did, and I knew he wanted me to stay.  But I was sure of myself.  I would be an excuse and that's all the Army would need to find this place.  I pushed him as far as I could to move the camp.  But in the end, he only smiled and talked of simple pleasures.  He reminded me that at his age, a good fire was better than anything.  Ten Bears was an extraordinary man.
                                                                                           (Dances With Wolves ~ John Dunbar)

                                                          
Ten Bears portrayed by a "Bully-Good Indian" from my Skookum collection





8 comments:

  1. You are so right. A real wood burning fire is comforting and so peaceful and it feels great. Your stove is really nice. We used to burn one and still have it, but now we have to use gas, as my husband is not able to handle the wood anymore, but the wood is so much better. The doll you have Ten Bears is beautiful and I know you enjoy him. Alot of care was made in making him and his blanket is so pretty. Happy Thanksgiving to you family. Enjoy your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree whole heartedly that a good warm fire enjoying the small pleasures is truly better than anything. You're pot belly stove looks so inviting. Oh how I miss my fireplace from my previous home and hope to have one in the future.
    Love you're native American doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I have to watch that movie again--one of my all time favorites. Ten Bears is right. And your Skookum doll is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fireplace or wood stove is one thing our new to us house is missing; but we have added it to our wish list. We have the perfect place just waiting for that "someday". It is nice to see your stove and can just feel the warmth. Our temperatures have dropped and it is definitely time for our most wintery of coats. Love your Skookum Indian doll. Happy Thanksgiving, may you enjoy a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your warm fire looks like a Christmas card photo! We had to wait until it rained some before we felt it was safe enough to build a fire in the furnace. The house got pretty cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrrrrr, it was cold and frosty here this morning. Your fire looks so inviting and 10 Bears is a handsome fella indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree!! I welcome this chilly time of year for the chance to be close to the wood stove!!
    And likely Ten Bears agrees ar well!
    Stay cozy my friend Miss Chip!! :-D
    XX OO warm blessings, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right, we try to enjoy simple pleasures daily. And love your Skookum.

    ReplyDelete