About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, November 13, 2016

Full Moon Rising...










Supermoon, November 14, 2016  ~  According to NASA scientists, this supermoon is the biggest and brightest in almost 70 years.  We won't see another supermoon like this until 2034, so it surely is worth taking a good look.

A supermoon occurs when the moon becomes full on the same day as the perigee, the point in the moon's orbit when it is closest to the earth.  Supermoons generally appear to be 14% bigger and 30% brighter than other full moons. According to NASA,this month's supermoon "becomes full within about two hours of perigee--arguably making it an extra-super moon."

In America, the November full moon is known as a "Beaver Moon," because it arrives at the time of year when fur trappers would hunt the dam-building animals.


6 comments:

  1. You captured the moon beautifully. Is that the Supermoon of 11-13/14-2016 that Nasa announced?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw the moon too. It was extra bright, but didn't seem any bigger than normal, but it was pretty and real bright. I have seen what we call the harvest moons, that are gold in color and do look real big in the sky. Good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully captured!!!!
    Such a wonderful sight here in Western NY
    Sending warmth xx Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to watch it come closer and brighter. This morning I had a hard time looking at it through my binoculars - it was too bright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picture of the moon through the tree limbs! Your information was helpful too. Let's see ~ how old will I be in 2034? Oh my! 94 ~ !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always learn something when I visit you! We saw the moon, so big and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete