About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, November 27, 2016

Falling Leaves...







Falling Leaves and Young Son (my latest Little People project...more later)  

"Let's go."  Millie knows these words well, and was excited to hear them when our last Thanksgiving guest had come and gone.  So, " Go", we did!

The whole outdoors had been glorious with brilliant color all week, even this late into November. It had taken some discipline, on my part, to stay focused on cooking and cleaning for most of the week while right outside my back door there was so much to see and do.

As we wandered along our woodland trail, which is now covered in a deep carpet of colorful leaves, I couldn't help but wonder about those who might have trod these same paths on some other long ago Thanksgiving Day. I want to think that they had a fine feast, too!























7 comments:

  1. beautiful pictures. I know you enjoy your walks so much with your dog. We take our dogs down the dirt road at home. Love the fall weather, but its time to start the first raking of leaves around the house and blow them off the roof, We have a huge oak tree right close. Falling Leaves and her son are set for winter with her fine blanket. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas holiday too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! These are beautiful pictures!!
    This little person and her son are some of your finest work; the facial expressions are perfect and the baby's hair looks so real! A+ on this work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We woke to our first real snow this morning. Two inches with a winter watch through Wednesday night. No more Fall scenery for us. Love your beautiful photo's; so happy you were able to get out and enjoy the scenery. Love your Falling Leaves and her son. Love all your creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two inches of snow grew to be over 17 inches. Had to spend a day digging out. Next temperatures in the negatives. Winter is in North Dakota.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, what glorious color. I can almost smell the earthy damp leaves as I walk along under the trees. I bet Millie was ready go run and be free. She looks like she's enjoying herself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...this makes me want to move to the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete