About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, December 28, 2016

2016 Photo of the Year...



Second Runner-Up...


First Runner-Up...

2016 Photo of the Year...

It has been a big year for this little shelter pup that was picked up by Animal Control from a ditch along the side of  a remote county road, along with a little brother, last Christmas eve. I can't help but wonder what the pups might have done that got them ousted from their previous home only one day before Christmas.  Perhaps they demolished the colorful lights and ornaments that adorned the Christmas tree... or tore apart the brightly wrapped holiday gifts decorated with shiny ribbons and sprinkled with glitter...  or maybe the stockings that had been hung with care were no longer hung at all!

 Millie was at the shelter, according to the records from December 24, 2015 until February 4, 2016, when we brought her home.  I won't say we "rescued" her, for I think, in reality, she may have rescued us. She has been a mega chewer, but it seems the worst is behind us.  If you should come calling, you'll not find a welcoming mat at the door, and that's for sure!  Congratulations, Sweet Mille (aka Dingo Dog)! 




5 comments:

  1. It does make one wonder how Mille was found in a ditch along the road side and how it came about. If she could tell her tale, what would it be? To her delight she found a loving home as I hope the other pup did.
    Enjoy viewing your beautiful photos and the photo of the year is so fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are wonderful. I think Millie was meant to come your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a photo worthy to win for the year. She has such a fine bearing, doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect choice for photo of the year and perfect companions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful girl, that Millie is. You are so right, our rescues are the ones doing the rescuing. Gorgeous photography -- Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete