About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, December 31, 2016

Farewell to 2016





2016 is fading fast, and all of us here at Chip Butter White Oak really can't say we're sorry.  We won't be looking back, but will keep our hands (and paws) on the wheel and look straight ahead into the brand New Year.  Thanks to all of you who take your time to stop by and walk with us as we explore these trails.  Happy New Year to you all!



5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year 2017. Wishing you much happiness and health and good things to come. It is a pleasure to follow along and see a part of your world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you and the cowboy ~ and Millie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoy your walks and, at times, feel we are right there with you. 2016 is done, always go forward. Hello 2017, what do you have in store for us?

    ReplyDelete