About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Friday, January 6, 2017

Millie's First Snow...



"The night veils without a doubt a part of this glorious creation; but day comes to reveal to us this great work..." ~ Thoreau


Even though Millie is now eighteen months old, snow was something unknown to her, for last year's winter was without snow.

 


Tasty....




The Oaks seem to embrace it...




Two sets of tracks...hers and mine.  She won't ride!




8 comments:

  1. She seems to enjoy the snow. The farmer's little dog shivers; I need to crochet a sweater for her.
    My late summer kitties don't know exactly what to think of the snow; they're very small so I take warm milk poured over their cat food to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have to get a milch cow just to feed the kitties !~) When we hiked the trail a bit ago, there were birds everywhere; even the great blue heron was at the pond...and me without a camera!

      Delete
  2. To me snow is cleansing. I feel so refreshed and alive when the ground is covered. I can see Millie is having such fun and you as well. You take lovely pictures and even if there isn't one of the heron, I can picture it standing at the waters edge. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love snow...as long as it is not too deep and doesn't last too long. After a time it can look rather shabby and nasty, I think. Millie was, at first, hesitant to get off the porch, but once she got going, she seemed to have a good time.

      Delete
  3. I am afraid that Millie would not be loving the amount of snow and cold we are having here! But, poor doggies are getting cabin fever. Believe it or not my son puts his lab on his treadmill. He goes down to work out for himself and then has the dog watching and giving him the sad eyes; wanting a turn of his own. How funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A doggie on a treadmill is funny, but really does depict what is going on in your part of the world, as far as winter weather goes. Our son has been working in Divide County, N.D. the past three months, so we have been hearing a lot about it. Some of his pictures leave me shaking my head and wondering how man or beast can survive in such conditions. I hope you have had stitching projects to keep you busy! :~)

      Delete
  4. Millie looks like she enjoyed the snow. Stay warm in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie didn't seem to mind the snow and the cold temperatures that morning; however, she did spend the afternoon snuggled in her warm doggie quarters. I worried it was too cold for her; Lil Red Hen hasn't knitted her a sweater yet. :~)

      Delete