About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, January 29, 2017

Sundresses and Wilderness Trails...













The last of the little dresses are sundresses with coordinating jackets.  (I have now made four of these little jackets...think I could make one in my sleep.)  The dresses and jackets were made from fat quarters or pieces I found in my scrap box, so there was no cloth to spare, and certainly not enough for matching of dots and plaids.

My mother used to say that her mother said the only thing we can take with us when we leave this world, is what we have given away.  I once asked Mom if I could go with her to help carry her stuff, for she had given so much away.

So, I am adding the little dresses to what I have given away.  I hope the girls will be pleased.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I hear the wilderness trail calling.......



































20 comments:

  1. Pretty dresses. they are great with their jackets. I love pokadots and plaid fabric too. These combinations you made worked really good. You will be loved and appreciated for your hard work and your grandchildren will be thrilled with the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. I really think the polkadot turned out to be my favorite. I wish I could be there when the girls open up their presents.

      Delete
  2. Oh they are lovely, and so is the look of your wilderness trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, I enjoy seeing, in photos, the places that you walk...so different from ours, but also so beautiful.

      Delete
  3. The dresses turned out so nice and I am sure that you will be loved and cherished for making something so special for their dolls. Great combination of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do this again next Christmas I need to get an earlier start, for sure. Choosing fabrics is the fun part, don't you think?

      Delete
  4. I love the pattern of both the dresses and jackets, they are adorable Mary, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judi! I've just been over to Olde Time Dolls admiring your lovely creations. Your Izzies do look beautiful in white!

      Delete
  5. So, so pretty! They look like real little girl dresses! I think the red is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope the dresses fit. I had the notion one day that I should bring them over for a fitting session with your Isabelle.

      Delete
    2. She (we) would love it! She's sleeping in these days. :)

      Delete
  6. The dresses are adorable.
    Your doll is amazing.
    Your Mom & Grandma spoke true words of wisdom.
    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom had so many "old sayings." I should write them down so they will not be forgotten.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, what amazing and beautiful blog you have. The little dresses and jackets are adorable. I've got to start supper now but I will be back to read more. At first glance, I thought the dresses and jackets were in a girl's size. Thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to finally finish the little dresses. I have cleaned the sewing room today, and will now take a little break before the next project.

      Delete
  8. So sweet! I love the way you've mixed the fabric prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drive myself crazy when I work at mixing different prints. I am quite sure I could never be a quilter for that reason.

      Delete
  9. The dresses and coordinating jackets are delightful. I'm sure the girls will be pleased. I know what you me about sewing in your sleep...for I probably could make dolls in mine!

    Love your wilderness trail. I can't wait for spring here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you almost do make dolls in your sleep. I would guess that some of your best ideas come to you in the middle of the night when you should be sleeping.

      It has been unseasonably warm here today...made me want to work in the garden.

      Delete
  10. How beautiful those wee dresses are.

    ReplyDelete