About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Thursday, January 12, 2017

The Red Corduroy...









Shakespeare once said that, "Clothes make the man," (which I strongly disagree with) but, if that were the case, do clothes also make the doll?

Our two youngest granddaughters might readily agree with that notion, for they surely do enjoy dressing their dolls (American Girl dolls) in nice clothes.  Hopefully, they will be delighted with the new clothes that Mrs. Claus is sewing for them. (She's a bit slow these days, it seems!) 

The Red Corduroy is the first of four.  One of my earlier dolls, Noelle, who hangs out here in the sewing room, has volunteered to model each one when it is completed, with the stipulation that she will get a new dress of her own when we are all done with the Santa Claus thing.

I remember well my best Christmas ever, when I got a trunk filled with doll clothes that Mrs. Claus had made.  Why, she could sew almost as well as my mother could!  The doll in the old photo below could well be the doll these clothes were made to fit.  This photo was taken on a long ago Christmas Day, when my little brother and I were posing with toys that Santa Claus brought.  It must have been a warm day for we weren't even wearing coats, and we both had a bad case of sun grins.   










17 comments:

  1. Red is my favorite color so your doll dress really caught my eye. So nice for Noelle to model the dress for you. And how lucky your grand-daughters will be to receive such nice presents. Such a nice mix of the corduroy and the calico print you chose to go with it. I do believe I had some of that red calico myself at some time. Love the pattern of the outfit too! I am sure your grand-daughters will love the clothes for their American Girl Dolls as much as you enjoyed receiving yours as a young girl. Great family photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, this red was almost too bright for me, so I had to figure out a way to tone it down a bit. The little peachy colored flowers in the print and the peach colored silk ribbon really helped. This pattern is Daisy Kingdom 5341. It would be fun to make a matching dress for our youngest granddaughter. Looks like you are getting a break from the snow...at least for now! Stay warm!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the info on the doll pattern. My grand-daughter is almost 5 and I hope to do some doll clothes for her dolls. The past two days have been the coldest with the wind chills. Now they say it will warm up each day and reach the 30's which will feel quite warm after all the negative temps we have been having. Some snow might even melt. Most of our lower windows are blocked with snow that the wind has piled high.

      Delete
    3. Your granddaughter is the perfect age to really enjoy playing with dolls. You make beautiful doll clothes, so she will have the best dressed doll ever. It is hard to imagine snow blocking the lower windows. My son has sent pictures of deep drifts in that country, something we don't have to worry about. It took him a while to dig out his truck after one of the blizzards. Enjoy those balmy temperatures. :~)

      Delete
  2. Precious ~ both the dresses and the two little ones. They do look like someone I know. I'm certain my Isabelle would love the red dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she will get one for Christmas next year! :~) I love this picture of little brother in his overalls.

      Delete
  3. Talk about style, your doll has it all! Love the color of the dress and that jacket is fabulous! I need one! You and your brother are adorable in the picture with your gifts. I had a doll called Baby Boo that kind of looks like yours. Fun reminders of our youth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now working on the fourth little jacket by this same pattern; surely no longer need to read the instruction sheet! :~) I think it might be almost as easy to make one in an adult size, for sewing in those tiny little sleeves is a bit tedious. I Googled Baby Boo, but she came a little later than this doll, and has "real" hair.

      Delete
  4. Your doll is lovely! I am sure your little granddaughters will love the doll clothes you make for them. How sweet is the photo of you and your brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sending the clothes to the girls sometime this week. I may not see them until spring break, or even summer vacation. :~( Thankfully, their mother has an iPhone and sends lots of pictures, and thankfully my mother had her old box camera and took lots of pictures when we were growing up.

      Delete
  5. Noelle is a beautiful doll, I'm sure the grand daughters will love the clothing. Do you think your Mother taught Mrs. Claus to sew?? The photo of you and your little brother is absolutely adorable, a true treasure. I have a picture of me and my brother holding up the fish we caught. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ha! I am sure my mom could have taught Mrs. Claus a thing or two about sewing! Brothers are nice aren't they! I also have two older brothers, but it was my youngest that I was closest to. We had lots of good times growing up.

      Delete
  6. Oh my the red corduroy dress is fabulous as is that lovely jacket. You sure are a wonderful seamstress. Noelle seems so happy to be wearing it.

    What a precious, precious photo of you and your brother. Love the little dolly you're holding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethann. It is fun, for a change, to sew from an actual pattern. The dolls I make all turn out to be different sizes, so I have to keep adjusting patterns to fit each one. I know you design your own patterns, so you will appreciate that. I have been looking at vintage dolls from this period, but am still not sure which doll this one is. She has molded hair and teeth, I think.

      Delete
  7. Love red and I love corduroy too. Beautiful work on this dress and over jacket. the little jackets are especially nice. I am sure your grandchildren will love dressing their dolls in the clothes Mrs. Santa made for them. the picture of you and your brother is precious. Both of you are so cute with your toys. the house front reminds me of the house I remember when I was little. You should not disappoint your doll and remember to make her the dress you promised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love corduroy too, and these pieces are so soft which makes them especially nice. My plans, at first, were to make a red corduroy dress for one of the girls, and a cotton print dress for the other, but then realized trouble might come from that...so now they both have a soft corduroy dress for their dolls.

      Delete
  8. Your doll proportions are so realistic, that when I first saw the dress hanging, I thought it was a child's dress. Love the red!

    ReplyDelete