About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, February 4, 2017

At the Foot of these Mountains...
















Millie has learned a lot about what to do and what not to do as far as the cattle are concerned.  She is a cow dog, you know.  I take great pride in how well she is progressing in her training.  She obeys commands ~ "Come here, Millie,"  "Stay back,"  "Stay here,"  "Let's go," "Want a hot dog?" and, best of all, "Give me a hug."  However, she still won't get into the side-by-side.  Even a hot dog doesn't do the trick. We may have to go to night school to master that one.






Millie ~ All grown up now


The sewing room is now swept clean, and the shelves are dusted and straightened.  The dolls and I are definitely enjoying the quiet calmness of a clean, tidy room. We could even find the scissors should we have the need to.  However, in the back of my mind, ideas are swirling around for the next project.  I am like Millie, in a way, having learned so much about making dolls (in her case about being a cow dog), but there are things yet to be learned.  Oh, heck!   I'll just think about that tomorrow....




Willow ~ three years ago

Oakley and Temperance ~ five years ago




16 comments:

  1. I've been looking back at your earlier posts. You live in such a beautiful beautiful place. Poppy and I for years have talked about selling our place and moving to the NC mountains. We probably will never do that since we dreamed of having a little log cabin in the woods and this is it. My sewing room needs a good dusting. Your dolls are very unusual and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to live in a log cabin too. My favorite books are Ralph Kylloe's books featuring cabins and rustic living.

      Delete
  2. I love that Millie is learning her job well--and I'm convinced that dogs are happier when they have a job. One of my favorite times is just after cleaning the studio--all the ideas that swirl into life DURING the cleaning, now have a chance and have gotten my attention. I look forward to seeing what new ideas you bring to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie has to have a job to do or she will find a job, which might not be exactly what we have in mind. :~) But she is outgrowing some of her childish ways...thankfully!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful place. Your cows are pretty too. Millie looks very happy and is at home. I imagine hot dogs are a good incentive to mind and a good reward. She is super lucky, as are you and your husband to have her. the dolls are also at home in their place in your sewing room, they are beautiful too. Hope you will be making more for us to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie really does have a good life here, and she seems to know it. She needs lots of space. I do have a couple of dolls cut out...time to go back to work.

      Delete
  4. Millie has settled in and must be the happiest of dogs. She has a job, wide open spaces and a great family. I wonder, does she know " Do you want a cookie?" My workin dogs love a cookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go right to work on "Do you want a cookie?" :~) She actually got into the side-by-side with me a couple of times ~ once when she was looking for an escape from one of the cows that wanted all dogs out of the pasture, and another time when The Cowboy got in for a ride. She was probably just jealous that time.

      Delete
  5. We had a rescue dog for awhile in CO and she would never want to go for a ride in a vehicle. We guessed that maybe she had been dumped at some time in her life. She was found all matted and dirty. The pound loved her so much they cleaned her up and was training her. Sadly we found after we had adopted her that she also did not like women so much either. She jumped for joy with my husband and son's; but when left alone with me she would growl and find things that belonged to me and chew on them. We had to take her back to the pound; but they decided they would keep her as their mascot. So I guess it was a happy ending. I am happy for you that Millie is working out well for you and your farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we adopted Millie, we had a week in which we could take her back. I did wonder about it a few times when she chewed up some pretty important things. Thankfully, she has given up most of those bad habits.

      Delete
  6. Your landscape views are stunning, what a beautiful place you have to roam. Sweet Millie...at least she obeys most of the commands and the important "give me a hug" command. No doubt she'll be a good cow dog.

    Isn't it great to have a tidy sewing room? I just finished organizing my room and it's so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth Ann! I do enjoy roaming these woods, and it's surely nice to have a dog to go along. I definitely seem to get more done when the sewing room is tidy. I am working harder to keep it that way.

      Delete
  7. Breathtaking scenery straight out of the wonderful western movies. Your cows are beautiful.
    Millie is a precious helper. I bet her hugs are sweet.
    Your dolls are amazing beyond words. You're a very gifted artist. I'm in awe of your talents.
    Enjoy the clean sewing room. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E.C. That's a happy thought...straight out of the wonderful western movies. We love old western movies. Millie really does hug me, and licks me right in the face...great for my health, I think!

      Delete
  8. I love the photo of Millie! We had a dog that had one ear that stood up and one ear that didn't. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she's alert and attentive, both ears can almost stand up, but when she is relaxing, one is up and one is down. When I am talking to her about things, I sometimes ask her if she couldn't please make them both stand up, or maybe both lie down. She just turns her head one way, then the other trying to understand what I am asking her. I love her!

      Delete