About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, February 18, 2017

Without even waiting to put on his coat...





...in cool little pockets of the deep woods.



Nothing expresses the way we have been feeling around here, on these fabulously warm days of February, quite so well as Kenneth Grahame's, Spring House Cleaning, from his wonderful book, The Wind in the Willows. 

"The Mole had been working very hard all morning, spring cleaning his little home.  First with brooms, then with dusters; then on ladders and steps and chairs, with a brush and a pail of whitewash; till he had dust in his throat and eyes, and splashes of whitewash all over his black fur, and an aching back and weary arms.  Spring was moving in the air above and in the earth below and around him, penetrating even his dark and lowly little house with its spirit of divine discontent and longing.  It was small wonder, then, that he suddenly flung down his brush on the floor, said, "Brother!" and "O blow!" and also "Hang spring cleaning!" and bolted out of the house without even waiting to put on his coat."

One thing's for sure, our heavy coats have been left hanging, all week, on their hooks beside the back door.



Ready for a bit of clay..




17 comments:

  1. Today it's sunny and 64 degrees. Is winter really over? I love the "Wind In The Willows", that would be a refreshing re read. Is this the way all your dolls look before you add the paper clay? It's a great doll as is. I would love to see progress photos. Enjoy this fine weather and let's hope spring is soon to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently reread the book...never would tire of it. Yes, this is pretty much the way all of the dolls look before I add clay. They are a combination of an old cloth doll I took apart and a Alice Weiner pattern, with Dixie Redmond's Izannah doll thumbs. Enjoy spring...while it lasts! :~)

      Delete
  2. A quote from one of my favorite books! Can't you just see the little fella? About the clay ~ I was wondering about the size of her head, comparing it to the rest of the body. :) :) She'll be another great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite observant, Charlotte. Head to body ratio can be a bit tricky, so clay and hair additions must be taken into consideration. A photo taken straight on would have shown sizes here better, but I was trying to show off the set-in seat that I have worked on for so long. :~)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! The doll is amazing. You are amazing. It has definitely been springlike here too, most all of February. I've probably been looking a lot like "The Mole". This weather makes me want to make everything pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henny! Being like "The Mole" could be a really good thing, I think. You certainly are getting a head start on making things pretty.

      Delete
  4. I was going to ask basically the same question as Sherri. Is this how all your dolls start; or will this be a different kind? Either way I know I look forward to seeing the progress and end results. Looks like you have been very busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I haven't had my hands in clay since last summer. I hope I can still do this....

      Delete
  5. Fascinating shoulder attachment! And it looks like your hard work on the bottom paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! Yes, I have worked long on this pattern. Whew!!

      Delete
  6. Your doll is very charming just as she is. I love the way you made her body and feet and hands. Can't wait to see her finished. It is warm here too, but I would sure like to see a true spring, not cold weather just turn into summer. What ever it does, I will appreciate it though. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a "true spring" is what we need...but it is almost summer here today. The lawn already needs mowing, but I refuse to do that in February. I know you will understand when I say, "It feels so good to be working on dolls again."

      Delete
  7. I agree, hang spring cleaning and enjoy that bit of fresh air! Looking forward to that bit of clay you will be adding to your doll's cloth body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, only a "bit" of clay. I have revised the head AGAIN so maybe a "bit" will be all that is needed.

      Delete
  8. Your excerpt from the 'The Wind in the Willows' is perfect for this season.
    Your doll is going to be wonderful. I look forward to seeing your updates.
    Your weather sounds pleasant like ours has been. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E.C. It's beautiful out today, and I am definitely just about ready to bolt out of the house, and I won't even stop to give my coat a mere glance. :~)

      Delete
  9. Its fun to see the beginning stages of your dolls. Very interesting. Will enjoy watching the process.

    ReplyDelete