About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Not So Ordinary...




"Should I take my camera?"  How many times have I asked myself that question, as I was going out the door?  (Of course, the answer is, "Yes, always take your camera!  You never know what might be lurking beyond yonder bough or crag.)

However, as of late, as winter begins to wear us down, when every leaf and stem seems a bit frayed and forlorn, I have been prone to think, "What's the use?  There's nary a pretty picture to be had."  February can be like that, you know...perhaps, the drabbest month of them all.

Lately, I've even found myself wishing, as in days gone by, I had a half dozen pretty spotted ponies, and a barnyard full of beautiful speckled hens, but, alas, no more....  There are, now, only the trails and what lurks there...the little unexpected things that, when the light is just right, catches one's eye and the ordinary becomes not so ordinary.




Reflections so vivid that it's hard to tell what is up and what is down...










The very ordinary, but oh-so photogenic Millie...





A little surprise just off the trail...

The Doll Pattern...the one I have been drafting for oh-so-long...the one with the set-in-seat that I am so determined to have... is back on the table. Both the dolls in the picture are made from an earlier version of that pattern, which I am still trying to improve on.  I am determined to get it right this time, and the only way to do that is to keep guessing, testing and revising...prototyping, I suppose.  So, I have done that this week...several times, in fact.  I am getting mighty close...







12 comments:

  1. I kinda got dizzy looking at the reflection photo. And YAYYY! I'm glad you're making dolls again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you know how it is... an obsession, of sorts!

      Delete
  2. I kept expecting to see a bear on the trail!
    I'm glad you're working on another doll, however, I don't see how you can improve on these wonderful little people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lil' Red Hen, you know how much I have wanted to "shoot" a bear, but I don't think it will happen. Millie is always a bit ahead of me, so by the time I get from point A to point B, the bear will be long gone... Oh, well, this little heifer calf is far better than any ole' bear, anyway!

      Delete
  3. I am happy that you took your camera and captured these amazing photo's. The reflection one is hard to look at for too long; but beautiful at the same time. Love seeing the baby calf along side its mother. Millie doesn't realize how wonderful a play yard she has been gifted; or maybe she has? And like the others I love to see and hear about a new doll in the works. They are all so wonderful and creative and unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! The camera is rather heavy to carry over my shoulder when I am out and about, but if I leave it home, I usually regret it. I keep thinking I will make a doll-sized quilt, just to see what I can do...maybe next winter! :~/

      Delete
    2. I have no doubt that you could make a wonderful doll size quilt. Now I will be wondering in what direction you will go with that. Something to look forward to.

      Delete
  4. These pictures are just beautiful! I am totally amazed at your beautiful dolls and did not realize until now that you made them. I need to read more of your back posts, and intend to take the time to do just that. Your dolls are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henny! I can see, from reading your blog, that we share a love for furry critters and dressing little dollies! I have been reading backwards into the pages of your blog...such fun!

      Delete
  5. I think your photos are all wonderful. You capture the heart of winter perfectly. Millie is a majestic beauty. The cow and it's adorable calf is such a fun thing to see. I hope the weather is mild enough that the calf can survive the winter.
    I love your dolls. I've complete confidence in you that you'll create the perfect pattern. I look forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a drab time of year, but in your photos I see some rich orange and greens. Good luck on your sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always your photo are so inspiring. Millie looks camouflaged! I saw the finish doll body....beautiful.

    ReplyDelete