About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The year's at the spring (almost)...




An early morning shower...




The Cowboy going to work...





The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew -pearl'd'
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in His heaven~
All's right with the world!

      ~Robert Browning
                                  


Then coming back...








Red sky at night; Sailors delight...for sure!









18 comments:

  1. You have some of the most beautiful scenery! I love the moss growing on the tree in the first picture. And your sunset is heavenly. It must be a joy to sit on what looks like a covered porch and look out over your land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. I am glad someone else sees the beauty in that old moss covered tree! :~)

      Delete
  2. Mesmerizing. You capture the country with nostalgic charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E.C. I take lots of pictures...some turn out well, but most go into the trash.

      Delete
  3. It's good to see the cowboy working and I see the cows are keeping track of him. Sunsets are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The Cowboy has a good little day job, for sure!

      Delete
  4. This is so pretty...the words and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This little poem has always been a favorite of mine. Words can be beautiful things, can't they...

      Delete
  5. Did you time it to catch a picture coming back, or was it luck? :~P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Just luck. I had been working in the yard all morning, and caught him coming back for lunch.

      Delete
  6. Very nice photos and I love the story how you got the nick name chip butter. Wonderful memories you must have. Thank you for becoming a follower and I will visit you and catch up with your blog. The dolls look awesome. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lady Jane! Yes, this story is one of my favorite memories. One of my followers always calls me "Miss Chip," which I love!

      Delete
  7. So beautiful. You live in heaven. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peggy. The Ozarks are beautiful, for sure!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful pictures. All the pasture with the cows looks so peaceful. It is nice that your husband is close to you working. Even though he is out away from the house. I am sure you enjoy that a lot. Everything looks so well cared for. you live in a really great pretty place, but I know you both work very hard to keep everything so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha. I am so glad that the days are getting longer. It seems the sun gives me more energy. Have you seen any hummingbirds yet?

      Delete
  9. Simply beautiful. I love the settings you capture from morning to evening. The photos remind me of the days I spent at my grandfathers who had 67 acres in southern Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been beautiful all week. Spring has been in the air and the forsythia is in full bloom. Yesterday it turned cold again......I am so ready for spring!! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete