About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, March 1, 2017

In Like a Lion...





Spring at woods' edge...


 There are plenty of folks around here who will readily proclaim, because of last night's damage from strong thunderstorms and possible tornados, that March definitely came in like a lion.  The rain was a blessing, of course, but we could have well done without all the rest. Today the winds are still blowing, but the sun is shining, and spring, which had seemed to be lingering just at woods' edge, came joyously rushing across meadow and field, tinting them in hues of green.



Millie and her daily splash in the pond...































Otherwise...


The final version is FINA!. It is traced with a Sharpie onto template plastic...something I have never done before, because it has never been final before!  (It only took me twenty years!)


Miss Chip's Doll Pattern... 


Final prototype (She sits well.)...
 




18 comments:

  1. Lovely daffodils. March did indeed come in like a lion. The weather here has been very unusual, one day it's in the high 60's and the next 13 and snowing.

    Good idea using the template plastic...I've never thought of doing that with a final pattern. I glue my paper pattern to a file folder. The final prototype looks well made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth Ann. I like using file folders for patterns because I can write on them. But, this time I thought I would do something different...kind of like an exclamation point at the end.

      Delete
  2. Yes, March has come in full lion force! I wish the weather could make up it's mind......warm then cold and blowing....warm then cold and blowing!
    Love the dolly, truly she's a beautiful cloth doll before you even put your talented hands to the paper clay! Are you going to sell the pattern? I love the way she sits and her hands are lovely. Cool shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri. If I sold the pattern, I am sure there would be a lot of requests for refunds! :~) Her hands are from Dixie's Izannah doll pattern, which I know you have.

      Martha said in one of her comments that she would just like to have a normal spring. Well, this one is definitely not normal. Windy weather is not my favorite, for sure.

      Delete
  3. You have a great doll pattern. I like it a lot. I like her just as she is too. as a rag doll. the weather is fitful. Cold wind and warm days. I do hate the bad weather and storms and am so sorry for anyone who suffers losses. We have had many bad storms here too. Beautiful pictures of your home and fields and Millie looks so happy in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. This pattern is just a combination of things I have learned over the past twenty years. I used a heavier material for her body, as you suggested, which has helped a lot. I want her to feel just like your dolls that I have, so I used some pieces of cloth to fill her torso. I so love your pressed cloth heads, but don't know if I will ever get there.

      I think of you when the storms go south of here. My sister's farm was heavily damaged by this week's storms. They have some big messes to clean up, but thankfully no one was hurt.

      Delete
  4. It is so beautiful there! and I love your writing...your words. I could read on and on. You are an amazing artist! To make your own doll pattern! I can't even imagine doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henny! When the weather turns nice, I am torn between being inside or out. "Out" usually wins!

      Delete
  5. Yep the weather roared around here too. But the sun is shining and Spring is on the way.
    Your doll templates are a great idea. They'll be handy for your creating more charming dolls.
    I wish you wonderful days of pleasant weather and lots of snuggles from Millie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is another beautiful day...a bit windy, but that's to be expected in March. Millie has learned a new word..."kiss." Can you imagine what that means? :~)

      Delete
  6. FLOWERS! I love that photo. And sweet Millie. And your doll pattern is wonderful! She sits so pretty now. Enjoy your spring, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. Yes, a doll must be able to sit. I have admired that about your dolls.

      Delete
  7. Millie looks a sweetie. I have a Millie (though in the world of blog she is called Miss Pinkerton - a long story) but she is a cat. Our dog, Dobson, is a Labrador cross, he is big and strong and yet hates to get even his feet wet. given the long wet winter we have just had you can imagine how much fun that has been, getting him out for walks!
    Beautiful words and pictures, I have enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Elaine! Millie is such a nice name, I think. It was the name given to her by the good folks at the animal shelter. Funny that a Labrador wouldn't want to get his feet wet! Thanks for the visit here, from way over there... :~)

      Delete
  8. It excites me to see the spring flowers peeking up from the ground, bringing us hints of green. I smile every time I pass each patch because I know what is coming in the days ahead. I get so tired of just brown dried up grass. Spring is 'lingering just at woods' edge'. Wow, a templet! Now your talking. Less figuring and more sewing. Your proper young lady sits quietly on your sewing table, ready for your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't flowers from bulbs just the most exciting things? "Less figuring and more sewing." Now, that's a challenge I'll have to go for! :~)

      Delete
  9. Thought I could still drop in and leave you a comment; although there has been little improvement on my sleep issues. We had a beautiful weekend; and now we are smack into a winter blizzard. So hard to warm up and then be so cold again. I guess it is to be expected; it is only the beginning of March. That is why peeking in on a friends blog is so nice...to find something pleasant to look at. I am happy you found a final draft of the pattern that you have been working on for so long. The doll looks great. Enjoy your flowers and walks with Millie. And thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandra! I had hoped you would keep in touch! Another blizzard! You have had lots of snow this year. It's warm here today; chance of thunderstorms tonight. I finished the doll pattern just in time. My old printer with enlargement feature has died! Take care, and enjoy what's left of winter...spring is coming!

      Delete