About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, March 14, 2017

On Hoof, or Paw, or Wing...









Wildlife photos taken along the Chip Butter Trail are a hard thing to come by these days, because Millie runs ahead and alerts everything on hoof, or paw, or wing that we are on the trail.   However, one day this week, when these photos were taken, we seemed to have just kind of slipped in undetected under the radar, and I was able to get a couple of good shots.  Ahh, I can't count the times the Great Blue Heron has unfolded and lifted those oh-so-lovely gigantic wings right before my eyes while I was trying to fumble with my camera.

Each day that we walk the trail, a little stick woman with a stick in her hand, followed by a little stick doggie, is hastily penciled on my calendar for that day. On a few special days there may be another little stick person, and occasionally two others, walking with us. Those are fun days, for sure!  It has been a good year so far, and we haven't missed our walk many times... five in January, two in February, and, so far, only two in March.

Millie thinks we should walk every day, rain or shine, but the day Nell and I got caught in a terrific thunderstorm is still too fresh on my mind to allow myself to be enticed out onto the trail when the weather is unsettled.  That day, the storm caught up with us right about the place where Millie is standing and staring at the deer.  I will just say that by the time we got home, I was the wettest I had ever been in my entire life...before, or since.  That was one time I was glad not to have taken my camera!















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Beginning to think about dressing a doll...





12 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. You did get a good picture of the big bird and Millie and the deer. We see the deer here too, but not so much as you probably do. All the material looks great. Pretty colors. I have been looking at old dresses for inspiration, lots of fine dresses. I just need more sewing experience to go along with it. I do enjoy making the clothes now, and you make such pretty dresses. Your new doll will need some clothes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha! I try to photograph something every day, then choose my favorites for the week. Also, I try to sew something every day, but lately I have spent my time dabbing in the clay, which I like to do, too. I wish you would come and help me paint!

      Delete
  2. Wow--you got some great shots. I envy you being able to walk Millie off lead and in such a setting; no wonder she thinks you should walk every day! As to the new doll, I look forward to seeing the finish. I'm hugely partial to plaids...just sayin'. :~D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do love those big ole blue birds. They should be accustomed to me by now, but they still fly away at first sight of me. I have watched the cattle walk all around them, but they are not frightened at all. I wonder why!

      Delete
  3. You have beautiful scenery to walk in. I think it would call out to you to go everyday! What a blessing. I like seeing your cloth out too, and to know that you are getting ready to sew a doll outfit. I look forward to seeing your newest creation. I know I need to get out and walk to feel better. We are still covered with snow. But, everyday we are a day closer to Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I want to be lazy and miss my walk, but Millie is a great inspiration. If we had snow like you have, I should have to get snowshoes, I guess. Actually, I think I would just stay in by the fire. The calendar says spring is almost here, but...???? Happy Spring, Sandra!

      Delete
  4. Your photos are surreal. It's like I could reach in them and actually pet Millie, the animals and heron. and lean on the handsome old fence smelling the wildflowers. Wow, such beauty on a walk, what a wonderful way to help your health body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E.C., Millie would love for you to reach out and give her a pat on the head! She is so good natured, and would never bite! When we brought Millie home from the shelter, I would never say that we rescued her, but that she rescued us. She gave me the incentive to make that walk over the "mountain" every day.

      Delete
  5. I am visiting with you from Prairie Needleworks and I have certainly enjoyed my visit. Your pictures are beautiful and that gorgeous Blue Heron...especially with the wings lifted...is breathtaking! I am now your newest follower.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Dianna, and welcome. I am so glad you have come to visit! It has become one of my passions to photograph those big old beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are so peaceful, I am always excited to come see a post and have a grand look at the outdoors. I wish I was as dedicated to walking as you. Cappy would go twice a day, she loves her walks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And again your have taken wonderful pictures for us to travel along with you and Millie. Thank you. We don't have a lot of 'critters' as we mainly have pasture land and trees along the fence row. But...we do have a young barn owl that occasionally sleeps in the barn and has landed on the pine or maple right by our windows. My camera is at hand but I haven't yet had a change to capture him. He's trying to find the one lone rabbit that live around our house. Hide rabbit, hide!

    ReplyDelete