About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Weeds...








Yes, I know that I posted a picture of this old horse-drawn mower just a couple of weeks ago, but that was before the wildflowers weeds began to bloom.  I thought the photo was worthy of being posted again.  Actually, I rather like weeds, most of them, anyway.   In fact, I like to think of myself as being one. 

"I want all my friends to come up like weeds and I want to be a weed myself, spontaneous and unstoppable.  I don't want the kind of friends one has to cultivate."  

                                                                        ~Roger Deakins, Notes from Walnut Tree Farm



My dear childhood friend, Alice, and me...  Tragically, Alice moved
away not long after this picture was taken.
Friends--how I like to think back over the years and remember those who were so dear to me. I am reminded of this passage from L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables.

     Anne tipped the vase of apple blossoms near enough to bestow a soft kiss on a pink-cupped bud, and then studied diligently for some moments longer.
     "Marilla," she demanded presently, "do you think that I shall ever have a bosom friend in Avonlea?"
     "A--what kind of a friend?"
     "A bosom friend--an intimate friend, you know--a really kindred spirit to whom I can confide my inmost soul.  I've dreamed of meeting her all my life.  I never really supposed I would, but so many of my loveliest dreams have come true all at once that perhaps this one will, too.  Do you think it's possible?"

I also think the great fiction writer, Louis L'Amour must have known a thing or two about true friendship, for he wrote so eloquently about it.  In the following passage two dear friends Tom Watkins and Barnabas Sackett are about to take their last stand against a band of warring Senecas.

     He looked around at me. "D' you reckon we'll make it, Barnabas?"
     "Do you wonder, Tom?
     He was silent, and the fire crackled.  Somewhere out there the wind moved through the trees.  "I reckon not, Barnabas.  I reckon I knew from the moment we straddled a horse for this ride that we wasn't goin' but one way this time."
     "We've ridden a good trail together, Tom, a long ride since that night on the edge of the fens."
     "You're a man, Tom Watkins, a man to ride down the warpath with...or any path.  You were there when the long guns spoke, and you were beside me when the blades were drawn...and when they were sheathed...and you never shirked a job that needed to be done."

"...when the blades were drawn...and when they were sheathed..."   Now, there's the thing of it --a true friend is there in the good times as well as in the bad.  There really aren't many friends like Tom Watkins, who's going to be there through the best and worst of times--someone to talk to all night--someone who loves you for who you are.  But, heck, when I found that person, I just married him!



``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````


                                                                       


This is the sculpt as it is today--still lots of work to be done.  To get an idea of what this little person might look like, I have drawn in temporary features.  It amazes me how once a little face is in place, particularly the eyes,  that suddenly there's another presence in the room--someone watching and wondering.  I think she's a weed!                                            




18 comments:

  1. Some of my favorite flowers to see bloom are classified as weeds. Your photo is fabulous and a pleasure to see. The wildflowers give it extra charm.
    'Anne of Green Gables' is a favorite of mine. LM Montgomery certainly made Anne loveable with such a curious outlook on life.
    'The Sackets', Louis L'Amour did a wonderful job building a lineage and history for that family.
    You are a true artist. Your sculpting is beautiful. I can hardly wait to see your finished doll.
    Have a wonderful rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E.C. I like most of the native wildflowers/weeds, but there are a few I have no use for. Probably the one I dislike most is the Prunella mint plant. It spreads all over the place, and can be quite poisonous to cattle. We love Louis L'Amour. I think one could get a pretty good education just from having read his novels.

      Delete
  2. She is beautiful and I am in awe of your talents.
    Roger Deakins Walnut Tree Farm is an excellent book, I love his powers of observation and appreciation of nature.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. I did enjoy reading Roger Deakins work, and scribbled down several quotes that I wanted to remember. I haven't read Waterlog, but think it would be a good read.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! What a wonderful post! The weeds are just beautiful. Glad you posted the picture again. I like weeds too, and especially the weeds in early spring. Even the pesky little ones that drive me crazy, are beautiful when they appear after a long winter. I love your writing about friends, and the picture! Those dresses look so sweet, just like I wore back then. Your doll is amazing! I LOVE her. Do you ever sell your dolls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Henny. I am putting off mowing the yard for as long as I can because of these little weeds (purple henbit, lil red hen reminded me). They will start to die and look pretty raggedy. I don't sell the dolls, but if I ever decide to let any go, I will give them to family.

      Delete
  4. I love the little purple henbit weeds! I have them at the back of the house, along with violets and dandelions. Blooms from weeds seem to be those the deer won't eat. :) I've tried and tried to get the farmer to move our old mowing machine to a place where I can plant ilies and glads around it.

    My oh my, how I would love to watch your sculpting process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lil red hen! I think the old mower would look wonderful surrounded with lilies and glads. Now to persuade the farmer. :~/ Come on over and we will sculpt together. However, you might want to pack enough clothes for a couple of weeks because I am slow. :~)

      Delete
  5. the little purple flowers are pretty. I think this is what Jesus was referring to in the bible when he called these flowers of the field. I always like to see the purple clover on the side of the roads in spring too. Your new doll is very nice. She has a lot of character already. A beautiful peaceful face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, there are so many "flowers of the field," if we only take the time to look. Our road department now sprays the sides of the highways, killing the wildflowers...very upsetting! At one time there were waves of Queen Anne's Lace near here...now it is all gone! I wanted you to see that I really am working on dolls. Thanks for "liking" her. :~)

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this post. I too married my best friend, we are lucky ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :~) It's been quite a ride for sure, and I wouldn't have done a thing differently! The snow is gone here, but the cold is still hanging on. Come on spring!

      Delete
  7. I married my Bosom friend too. Love the sayings about weeds, I once did a post called "Learning to love the weed" in which I refer to that purple lamium in your field as Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeri! Ahh, a field of heather would be nice. But, you know, this little ole purple weed really is beautiful. It should make some nice little seeds for the birds, I think, so I'll not cut it for a bit longer.

      Delete
  8. Those are weeds I can get behind. I also love dandelions. :~) Is the Weed Dollie from your recent square bottom pattern? If so, she's a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan! Yes, she's the same. She's turning out nicely, if I don't mess her up...kind of nervous about the hair and painting.

      Delete
  9. There is no such thing as weeds, they are just natures bounty! I love each and every one of them. Bosom friends: I have been so lucky to have two. We have helped each other through good times and bad times and still BFF's. What would I do without them? Your doll is lovely and they say the eyes are the window to the soul. Her personality is starting to come through and I can't wait to see her finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Cindy. I think you must be a weed too! :~)

    ReplyDelete