About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Good Night, Moon...





Good night, Pond...


One of our children's favorite bedtime stories was Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Clement Hurd, which features a bunny saying "goodnight" to everything around:  "Goodnight room.  Goodnight moon.  Goodnight cow jumping over the moon.  Goodnight light, and the red balloon..."

The children sometimes liked to add some of their own favorite things to which they said, "Goodnight."  To this very day, many years later, I still think about those happy times and still enjoy saying "Goodnight" to some of my own favorite things...






Good night, Birds in the trees so tall...



Good night, Great White Heron...




Good night, Little Hummers...









Good night, "Moo-Moo Cows"...



And, Good night, My Sweet Millie...



21 comments:

  1. Goodnight chickens, goodnight peacocks, goodnight John Boy.
    I love your little cowboys nose and fine mouth, in the post below. The hats are just marvelous, they have that worn and comfortable look about them. The chaps are just too much! Such a costumer you are! Perfect stitching, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to do the John Boy thing too...after everyone was in bed.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post!!!

    And tonight, there will be *no* moon, to say Good night to. :-)

    'Tis The Dark Of The Moon.

    Do you remember that old song... "No moon at all, it's so dark, even Fido is afraid to bark." ???? :-)))

    Night-night Dark Moon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall hearing Millie bark last night. She usually does, but thankfully has a nice mellow voice. I will remember "night-night Dark Moon." :~)

      Delete
  3. Such a good post! This reminds me of my two daughters when they were young. After saying good night to us, they would keep on saying good night to silly made up names and giggle and laugh until their dad threatened to get up if they didn't get quiet and go to sleep. Their favorite book, when they were very young was "Mrs. Hen Goes to Market". I must have read that thing a hundred times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, the good old days! Why am I not surprised that a certain Henny Penny would read "Mrs. Hen Goes to Market." Just perfect!

      Delete
  4. My kids loved that book too! Lovely photos, is that an Eagle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, it is a Heron. A white one. I really like the blues better, but when this one flew over, I got him. I hope you are doing something fun on this wonderful rainy day! Millie thinks we should go walking in rain or shine.

      Delete
  5. Lovely post! Beautiful photos too. The hummingbird is fantastic.
    Have a good day!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have many hummingbirds yet. At this time last year they were thick around the feeders. (I write notes on my calendar.) Honeysuckle is blooming in profusion, so that may be why.

      Delete
  6. Your good night thoughts and precious memories are heart warming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, E.C. Doesn't it seem the older we get the more precious the memories become?

      Delete
  7. You're so fortunate to have had such delightful grandparents. Your photos and stories warm the heart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethann. I am sure you also have some wonderful memories spent with grandparents.

      Delete
  8. We used to say goodnight to John boy too. So funny. We also still say goodnight to each other and silly things like good night light. Being silly is fun and so necessary sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Martha, it is good to read that there are others who are as silly as we are. I hope you also tell those sweet dollies of yours, "Goodnight ...."

      Delete
  9. How very sweet your post is! My children loved that story as well! Your photos are always so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just loved this post.......my children loved that story as well. Your photos are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome posting. I love your header photo and also the children's book. My niece would love this story.

    ReplyDelete