About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Spring Comes to Our Side of the Mountain...










Spring is coming fast to our side of the mountain.  Such a short time ago, a week would have come and gone, and there would have been only a scanty few pictures on my camera card.  But, it is oh-so-different now.  Why, all of these pictures, and more, were taken in only one day along the trail.

The first hummingbirds are here, only a few for now, but more will soon follow.  They usually come just ahead of the honeysuckle bloom, on which they gorge for days and days.  It seems store- bought sugar doesn't compare to the natural sweet nectar from the honeysuckle.  I have added a new one to my little garden ~~ Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle.  It already has a few blossoms.  I hope the little hummers like it.


   












~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~







Yes, yes, I know this little one should have been finished by now, but...........

"I meant to do my work today, but a brown bird sang in the apple tree, and a butterfly flitted across the field,
And, all the leaves were calling me.
And, the wind went sighing over the land, tossing the grasses to and fro,
And, a rainbow held out its shining hand, so what could I do but laugh and go?"

It is spring you know, and I kind of have a bad case of spring fever. The fever seems especially bad (or good) this year.  Maybe, it is because last year I was almost cheated out of spring.  We won't be forgetting that, for sure!   

"It's spring fever.  That is what the name of it is.  And when you've got it, you want--oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!"   ~ Mark Twain

And, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!  (Even though, I have redone this little one's hair four times.  Clay hair is just not my thing.  I want a bit of a prim look, so paper mache seems to be my thing.  In this case I used cotton thread instead of paper, but I still want to try again with paper.) 

The doll is almost ready for paint, but it will have to wait, because our grand kiddos are here this week for spring break.  I wish I could have made their dollies a new dress for Easter.  Well, maybe I still can, but there's that brown bird in the apple tree (or is it blue?)!



13 comments:

  1. I think we all look forward to getting a bit of spring fever, although some get it worst than others! After being 'cooped up' all winter, it's soo nice to see color, to watch the animals return and start nesting and getting ready for their new family. You keep ahold of that spring fever with all your might, you deserve it. Your little miss is shaping up nicely and she will be there for you when you and Millie have slowed down romping in the woods. Have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Spring is coming fast to our side of the mountain."

    Oh I love that sentence!!!!! We live where there are hills and ups and downs. Not far from the foothills of the very, very old Adirondack Mts. I have always lived here, and can't imagine living in a f-l-a-t place, without mountains! :-)))

    Lovely photos... Lovely doll.... But I can see why you are not having peace-to-work-on-her this week. -smile- With kids around.

    And just let the Siren Call of Spring, work its magic on you!!! It doesn't last long. Enjoy it, while it does. -smile-

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just dearly LOVE the way you write, and you live in such a beautiful place, so much to write about! Oh, I have definitely been suffering from spring fever. The doll is beautiful. I love her sweet little face. Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the Spring pictures and thoughts. Your world is awake and celebrating in beautiful style.
    I enjoyed the reasons they sound like a winner to me.
    Your dolly is coming along great. Every step you make with her brings her more to life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy visiting your blog. It's a treat to see what you will capture next as you and Millie go walking. Love the reflection of the light trees in the water, the geese in different stages of flight and Millie standing there as if she's saying "Come on mom".
    You're doll is lovely and I can't wait to see her finished....but spring is here and it's time to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos! I love the one of the bluebird. I agree, who wants to stay in the house when it is so lovely outside.
    Enjoy your time with the grandkids!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring is definitely here, we have already had to cut grass twice. It is nice to just be able to go out with out having coats and long pants. Beautiful pictures. Your doll looks very patient. She will be waiting until you enjoy your grand children. It seems lots of things keep us from finishing our dolls, but family and chores must come first. she will be happy when you paint her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my friend,

    I enjoyed your pictures of spring's arrival at your place. We will put out our hummingbird feeder in about another week. We are to have snow tonight...but this time of the year it never lasts long. Your dolls are amazing, Chip Butter! Just simply amazing. Enjoy those grand kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can never tell if that brown bird is a good or bad influence, but it does have a seductive call. Glad you're enjoying your spring fever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you ever keep up with Millie? You have a beautiful place to walk!
    Maybe it's a good thing the doll isn't finished; you'll have that to work on after the grand girls go home and you're feeling lonesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen our first "Robin" in our backyard. I am hearing the different chirps and tweets from all the lovely birds showing up to eat from our feeders. Not hard to understand why the doll may not be completed. Spring is happening and you have so many beautiful sights and sounds to follow. Wishing you a happy visit with family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you must be a master at paper mache, I never would have guessed it was the means for fashioning the hair. I can relate to re-doing a project over and over again until it is just right.It is part of your professionalism and of being a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's coming along beautifully. Her face is lovely. Why are her hands in bags? I don't sculpt, is this to protect them? Our dogwoods are in full bloom too, so beautiful. I went to a sale in the early morning Saturday and on the drive back it looked as though every tree I passed in the morning had literally blossomed and leafed out during the day. I was amazed by this. Photos are gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete