About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, April 17, 2017

Spring Roundup...





It was a week for rounding up the cattle here on our side of the mountain.  Of course, a camera is something one doesn't carry when doing such work, so this old picture will just have to do.  Maybe it wasn't exactly the same, but you get the idea... 

As expected, the Cowboy was at his best, doing what he loves to do.  There was only one evening that dark caught us and we had to use our headlamps to finish up. 
















He was dressed for the occasion, and quite frankly, seemed to like showing off his fancy jeans and chaps.  At least his legs were protected from mesquite thorns and such.  (Yes, I know we have watched too many old Western movies and read too much Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour.)

Of course, he had the best help ever...























who was just happy that her favorite Brown Heifer was among those that would be staying on here to take their places in the herd.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And, here's the real Cowboy,a few years ago, with our first child.  Look at those cowboy boots ~looks as though there were a thousand miles on them...



Photo courtesy of cnfarm...Thanks! 




12 comments:

  1. Now I love your creativeness, placing the little cowboy in front of the pictures; it really brings him to life! As for the real cowboy, and the "few" years, if I'm right, it was a half century ago. lol Loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious... Each and every picture.

    Especially the last one. That tall cowboy with his precious little one. -smile-

    Gentle Spring-time blessings,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little cowboy is so amazing! I LOVE your dolls! Your real cowboy is amazing too! Such a sweet picture! I do enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture of your husband and your baby. The cowboy dolls are so sweet and their clothes so authentic. It is wonderful you can work together and that he loves what he does. the brown cow is nice too. I like cows. I imagine he grows attached to his cowboy boots and wears them as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great life you guys have. Not sure which I like better, the dolls or that beautiful photo at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cattle round up sounds like a busy adventure.
    Your cowboy & cowgirl are amazing. Your costuming is perfect for them. They look ready to take on herding cows or enjoying sitting 'round a camp fire.
    What a pretty Heifer. I know she's a welcome addition to the herd.
    Aw, your baby is adorable. What a treasure this photo is.
    The boots look well worn but with some mileage left in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The very first cowboy programme I remember watching was 'Rawhide', way back around 1960, when I was 6/7 years old. These photographs just whizzed me back in time. Magic! Your cowboy doll is simply amazing, quite, quite wonderful. Love the last photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! The clothing on your dolls is simply wonderful..
    Your real cowboy is very handsome, sweet baby too.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my friend,

    I loved the way you presented this post! You are so creative, not only with the making of the dolls, but also with words.

    The dolls are amazing! And the picture of the real cowboy and your first child is priceless!

    xx Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  10. It appears to me that you had a grand crew at round up time. Many hands make light work. Both of your cowboys look straight out of a Zane Grey novel. (I'm reading 'Riders of the purple sage' right now!) Give a man his favorite boots and horse and he can tackle anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I can only imagine all the hard work it takes to round up those cattle. Such a treat to see the "real cowboy" holding the first child.

    Love the cowboy and cowgirl dolls. Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete