About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Monday, May 22, 2017

If John Can Do It, I Can Do It...






Slow stitch by slow stitch...



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



I have long been inspired by the work of this oh-so-talented wedding dress designer, who was featured  in an old 1990 Victoria Magazine, A Tribute to The Art of Dressmaking.   I often say, "If John can do it, I can do it."  :)))


John Burbidge calls them "les petites dames de mode." For the last 11 years, John, who recently retired as a wedding dress designer for Priscilla of Boston, has painstakingly crafted two or three mannequins a year.  Each is but 29 inches tall, marvelously and meticulously dressed.  "To do this kind of work, you have to be a little mad!" John says. 

                                                                ~Victoria Magazine, January 1990










~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


In the meantime, the Piney runs deep and wild, and I have a zillion blades of grass to cut...








10 comments:

  1. Hi Chip Butter, John's mannequins are breathtaking! Oh my goodness, they look so real.
    With all our rain we have been mowing the lawns every four or five days. Crazy weather this year!
    Have a good week.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little double rows of bias; I can see why it's taking stitch by stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your dolls better. :~) But you are right...it has to go stitch by stitch. It's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much good at handwork. It's usually a slow process. I feel for you. From what I can see, your handwork is very smooth and is the finished work is going to be lovely.

    Absolutely stunning wedding dress and doll. I can see why he's an inspiration for you.

    Shame about having to mow, the Piney looks like it's calling for you to bring a hook & line and enjoy a day of relaxation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree! Without a doubt, you can do it! Your dolls amaze me...every time I look at them. You work is unbelievable! and not just the dolls, the clothes you make for them. You live in such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How glorious!!!

    What an inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful work by John and by you. His mannequin doll is so pretty. the dress amazing. I can see why he would want to do it though. Just to create something so beautiful is reason enough. Your sewing is always pretty too. I think you are right, if he can do it so can you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What superb work John does! Thank you for sharing that information, Chip Butter. You also do beautiful work, my friend! Did you get all of those blades of grass taken care of? xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness, the wedding dress is exquisite. That lace is gorgeous. I googled John Burbidge and looked at other "la petite dames". I am speechless. I would love to see one in person, his work exceeds amazing! Thanks for sharing. I that a doll dress you are making? Pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm eager to see what you're stitching.

    Amazing work by John. I like his statement, "This is my way of expressing a deep appreciation for a way of dressing and an elegance that no longer exists." Oh to have lived in that era of elegance!

    ReplyDelete