About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, May 6, 2017

Rainy Days...





The rain seems to be over for now, but how the plant world must have loved those rainy days... Green, green, green...so many shades of green!  I've never claimed the color as one of my favorites, but in the great big wonderful outdoors, green can be a beautiful thing.




A porch is a nice thing to have on a rainy day...  Now if I only had a "cookie."






There's nothing quite like a long nap on a rainy day...




The pink abelia is beginning to bloom.  In previous years, the hummingbirds would have been all over these pretty trumpet-shaped blossoms.  This year, for some odd reason, there are only a handful of these little birds here.  I am puzzled about this... 



Rose-breasted grosbeaks


What could be nicer than visitors that are strikingly beautiful, and that sing an equally beautiful song?   ( I am enjoying the Audubon App. on my I-phone for identifying birds and for listening to their songs.  However, I still rely most on my National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds ~ Eastern Region.) 





The little garden, which must be protected on all sides from the white-tailed deer, is a mix of veggies and flowers.  The little plants are up from seed...even several red zinnias. :~) 






19 comments:

  1. Oh it looks so idyllic! Love that you are learning about all the different birds that visit.
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned so much just from feeding the birds...and from you, too! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. What a beeeeeautiful area, you live in. It looks heavenly.

    Yes, there are so many shades of green, to be seen, now in the spring. Maybe they are there all summer, but .... We certainly notice them now. No, I think it has a lot to do, with the very early leaves. Softer, or is it brighter, green, in spring...

    Yesss! A porch is a lovely thing to have, on a rainy day. :-))))))))

    First photo.... almost misty, in the mid distance.... Dragon breath that is, of course. ,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luna! It was actually raining when I snapped the first picture. Oh, there's that dragon! YES! :~)

      Delete
  3. I love your garden enclosure. That's what I need here to keep out the critters. Maybe someday. It is a green as I can remember, but we have had lots of flooding in our area. I am glad to see the sun shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am so enjoying this little garden. We started out with some raised beds in it, but they were more trouble than they were worth. I also think you might be wanting a little potting shed to play in... I DO!

      Delete
  4. all the green fields are very pretty. We noticed along the highway, all the tall grass blowing in the wind. that is a soothing site. So peaceful. All your spaces are beautiful and well kept. Lots of work done. We had lots of rain last week. It was good as we put out grass seed and new flower bushes two years ago, but I think they will need help again this year in the hot summer. Thanks for sharing your fine home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I also love to see the tall grasses blowing...reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder in Little House on the Prairie. I am thankful that we are getting spring rains...helps to push back the hot, dry days of summer.

      Delete
  5. Your yard looks like a lot of work; but the view is fantastic. Best of luck with your garden this Spring and Summer. Everything is so green and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. I so enjoy the gardening. Every day, I rush through my morning work so I can spend a couple of hours outside. I hope you are enjoying some wonderful weather there.

      Delete
  6. I've always thought spring green is the best. And I love tiny, new leaves which bare the same shape as mature leaves. It's beginning to look like I won't get to have a garden this year and I can't bear the thought of eating store bought veggies! Maybe there will be extra from ANDREA'S GARDEN. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky you are to live near ANDREA'S GARDEN! I'm sure you will have plenty of fresh vegetables and pretty bouquets for the table! We have eaten twelve heads of Iceberg lettuce from the little garden. Guess we were hungry for something fresh and green...just like the cows!

      Delete
  7. Magnificent Millie sure is pretty. Your garden is really nice. The fence is a peach of an idea.
    I love the way the world burst into green green green. Your birdies are so sweet. Great photos. You have beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, E.C. I am enjoying the little garden so much this year, since we removed the raised beds. I have more room so have added some more flowering plants. Feeding the birds, year round, is a new thing for me, and I am loving it!

      Delete
  8. SPRING! We're having rain today--a smidgin of our annual 8". I will absorb the regenerating green of your beautiful place vicariously. :~P Hug Millie for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 8 inches! Better enjoy every drop! Millie's hug has been delivered. In the dog world, she's a Jan. If she could make dolls, she would be a champ, just like you!

      Delete
  9. Dear Chip Butter,

    I have missed coming by and have enjoyed a refreshing time of just catching up with your past posts. You have a lovely landscaped yard around your home. Millie looks as if she was enjoying the rainy day. :)

    And, yes, let's do have a party to celebrate spring and the song of the whip-poor-will. Your grandfather sounds like my husband...a teaser. Our grandchildren quickly learned that he was having fun. :) One of them (our oldest granddaughter) teases him right back now. :)

    Good night (even though it is only noon), my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Green takes my breath away in the spring. I get so tired of brown, brown, brown. It makes the world seem alive. I know the animals love it too, and you can almost hear the grass and trees sucking up every rain drop that falls. Ahhh, life is good. And porchs are the best thing to have on a rainy day, just ask Millie.

    ReplyDelete