About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, June 17, 2017

Red Zinnias and Hay Bales...





California Giants...


Easy to grow...


With just a touch of pink...



Lily Pads and Hay Bales....









I finished raking ahead of the baler man, so, having nothing better to do, played around with my phone.   I took a nice little video, but couldn't get it to play here.  :~/  I should have taken my fishing pole, but lily pads always give me trouble. 







13 comments:

  1. Well, you still took/shared lovey photos.

    We need some zinnias!!! Down along the fence!!!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red zinnias are wonderful! I think I have one plant that will need to grow quite a bit before it will bloom. The old iron pieces behind your plants add so much interest! Wish the farmer would let me bring over some old pieces. :( I have 31 days left until I can rake hay again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the beautiful patch of Zinnias. Wow, there's much work involved in having a cattle ranch. Your place looks wonderful, you and your hubs take great care of everything. I guess the next best thing to a fishing pole is a phone ha! Hopefully you will figure out how to upload that video because I would really love viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when I'm driving at night or early morning with the car windows open and come to a hay field. The fresh cut hay is so earthy and damp smelling from the dew as it blows through the window. Later I'll suffer when my allergies kick in but enjoy it none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zinnas! Gorgeous red. I have some in our front bed, but they're not ready to bloom yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the flowers are pretty and the hay fields are too. I love the smell of fresh cut hay or grass too. Every thing looks picture perfect. Getting videos to play where you want them too is hard. We haven't managed to do that yet too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Zinnias. They're some of my favorite flowers. I wish I had planted some of them. Yours are like smiles growing in the sun.
    Those are some handsome Hay Bales. They'll come in quite handy for feeding livestock.
    That pond looks like it'd be a good place to catch a mess of fish for supper.
    So next time, take your fishing pole and catch a few to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love zinnias and your photos have really captured the look and feel of them. Sadly I forgot to get mine started this year...so I am enjoying yours! Have a great day...Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers and the smell of fresh cut hay.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. The zinnias are beautiful!! I've planted a row in the garden but for some unknown reason only a few are growing...and not blooming yet. I love the hay bales and the pond too. Pictures like these make me thankful to not be living in downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures, my friend. I especially enjoyed the ones of the hay being made. Brings back so many fond memories. I also scrolled down to meet Sarah. She may have been stubborn but she is beautiful! You do such beautiful work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photos Chip Butter. I love red zinnias too. I planted a few pots of them for in front of the garage doors.
    Looks like you had a great day for baling hay.
    Take care!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your Zinnias. Such vibrant and beautiful colors. Love getting to peek in to your part of your world. Country life!

    ReplyDelete