About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Saturday, July 29, 2017

A Rainy Day in July, and Remembering Beatrix Potter ~ July 28, 1866...




Beatrix's beloved Hill Top...




It all started with letters written to a little sick boy...


Peter meets Sarah...



All the while the rain came down...


Afterward, it was a soggy walk over the trail.  Millie and I loved it...


Millie...



The pond, refreshingly beautiful...



Such a peaceful place...


The cattle coming in for the night... 




Thank you Lord for another day...






20 comments:

  1. Wasn't the rain wonderful! I thought about you ~ wondered if you were in your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS wonderful. And, I wondered if you were in your sewing room. :~)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful misty, rainy, soggy walk. Just beautiful...

    Wondering about the story, behind Beatrix's letters to a sick little boy....

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sweet story. When "Miss Potter's" governess' son was ill, Beatrix began to write him letters full of tiny and exquisite pictures. These letters later became the "Tale of Peter Rabbit."

      Delete
  3. That looked like a lot of rain. Everything is so green. I love the misty fog afterwards. It is all so beautiful. Rain, rain and hail all around us but we just can't catch a break to have any here in our little town. Hope your garden had no damage from all that rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are watching every cloud hoping that it might bring rain. Our weather guy said the rain we got was moisture from the monsoons in the southwest, which is rather unusual, I think. Hopefully, rain will fall on your little town soon.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos. I do envy you the rain - we have had none since the beginning of June - terrible wildfires in the centre of the province and no moisture in the forecast for at least three weeks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have sons living in those areas where the fires are burning, so these worries must be on your mind day and night. I hope the rains come soon!

      Delete
  5. We have been enjoying rain here, more than our usual for monsoon season. I think now I need to learn more about Beatrix Potter. Enjoy your beautiful pond. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my friend "Miss Chip" !!
    This made me so refreshed from the rain to come over to visit you!! And our Beatrix!! :-)
    Have a lovely blessed day!! XX OO

    ReplyDelete
  7. the rain is wonderful. Glad you got some for your cows and land. I have never read Beatrix Potter, but my sister has a Beatrix Potter tea set. I will have to read more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful, peaceful post. We finally got some rain too, Saturday afternoon. It had been nearly three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post. You photos are so pretty. You gave me some nice nostalgic smiles.
    We had one day of good rain. I keep hoping for more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It always feels cleansing when the rains come. I don't think I would do well in the desert. I like rain too much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos on your blog, thank you for leaving a comment on mine, I've added you to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always loved Beatrix Potter! Your post is so lovely today! I always enjoy stopping by here for a visit! Such beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much beauty in your photos. How you capture the rain, the green, the cattle. Millie. Thank you, I feel better now! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your photos! And that little calf on the sideline right is adorable!

    ReplyDelete