About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Sunday, July 2, 2017

July...






July 2017


July 2016


July 2015


July 2014


July 2013



July 2012
We were all praying for rain...

*************************************************

Wishing you all a safe and happy Independence Day!  Happy Birthday, America!









18 comments:

  1. What fantastic pictures! I love the one with the road, fence and mullin growing. Makes you want to drive down it to see whats up ahead. What a place to have a small fire and relax. Let the creek wash away the work day toil! Ahhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I love wooly mullein, so I always mow around a few stalks. There's a good chance if you follow those tracks you'll find me...so come on down!

      Delete
  2. How neat to look back and see what moment in time you have captured year after year. How different the greenery is too from year to year. We still are hoping and praying for chances of rain. We are told we can only water on certain days. We have had a lot of gray days; June just did not have the feel of Summer. July is bringing us much warmer temperatures; but still little to no rain. My daughter in law has a garden. She says rain water is the best and makes her garden grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea it was so dry now in North Dakota. My son isn't working there now, so I have lost track. I hope rain comes soon to the plains.

      Delete
  3. 2017 Dragon's Breath!!!

    2014 How to keep the flying, biting critters away!!!

    Wishing you a Very Happy 4th of July!!!
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luna, we missed out on our camp fire this year. The Piney was too deep to cross to reach our camping site. Oh well, there's always Labor Day weekend... I hope you had a Happy 4th!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. Am I to understand y'all got the rain and that's why it's so green there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,I took the '17 shot with my iPhone, which I don't use often. It's a little different look, but I like it. And, it really is that green here.

      Delete
  5. This is a wonderful post!! But then, all of your posts are wonderful. Happy Fourth to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Henny, thanks! We really are kindred spirits, I think!

      Delete
  6. Happy Forth of July. Beautiful pictures. It's is nice to be able to see the years past in pictures. Hope you always get the rain you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, thanks! Mom used to quote the Bible verse, "For He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." Sometimes the rains come and sometimes they don't. So far, we are having a good year in 2017. 2012 was the driest I can remember, although 1980 was bad too.

      Delete
  7. Loved seeing all of that green in your 2017 picture. We've had lots of rain here this spring/summer. Love seeing green! I hope you had a lovely Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianna! I'm sure you are enjoying not having to water your outdoor plants every day, just as I am!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos.....2017 looks just like today's weather here in Taneyville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taneyville must be pretty wonderful right now. We are starting to warm up here and wiping lots of sweat!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely wonderful display of the July through the years. I hope your 4th was an enjoyable one and your July is full of happy times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E.C. We sent most of the 4th freezing corn. We succeeded in keeping the raccoons out with a couple of strands of shocker wire. We'll take it down in a few days and let them feast on what's left.

      Delete