About Blog Title...

As a child, it was one of my greatest delights to visit my grandparents in the spring when the whip-poor-wills began to call. Grandma and Grandpa lived in a remote valley of the Ozark Mountains where there were trees a plenty, and, seemingly, a whip-poor-will, or two, in each one.
My grandmother insisted that a whip-poor-will's call was not "whip-poor-will," but instead, "chip-butter-white-oak." I would listen really hard trying to hear it exactly as she said it was, but all I could hear was "whip-poor-will, whip-poor-will,..." But, I never let on to her.
I remember my grandpa watching and listening, with an amused look on his face, to one of these listening sessions. Shortly after that he began to call me, just for fun, "Chip Butter." It is a name I am proud to wear for I still love to hear that long, lonesome call on a warm summer's eve. And, sometimes, when I listen really, really hard, it seems I can hear quite clearly, "chip-butter-white-oak, chip-butter-white-oak..."


Tuesday, October 10, 2017

October... (As seen through my eyes and through Henry David Thoreau's words)







To anticipate, not the sunrise and the dawn merely, but, if possible, Nature herself!  How many mornings, summer and winter, before yet any neighbor was stirring about his business, have I been about mine...So many autumn, ay, and winter days, spent outside the town, trying to hear what was in the wind, to hear and carry it express!  I well-nigh sunk all my capital in it, and lost my own breath into the bargain running in the face of it.  ~Thoreau



Summer passes into autumn in some unimaginable point of time, like the turning of a leaf... ~Thoreau



If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."  ~ Thoreau (That's Millie and Me!)


I have spent many an hour, when I was younger, floating over its surface as the zephyr willed, having paddled my boat to the middle, and lying on my back across the seats, dreaming awake... ~Thoreau




  I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.  ~Thoreau



In summer we live out of doors, and have only impulses and feelings, which are all for action, and must wait commonly for the stillness and longer nights of autumn and winter before any thought will subside; we are sensible that behind the rustling leaves, and the stacks of grain, and the bare clusters of the grape, there is the field of a wholly new life, which no man has lived; that even this earth was made for more mysterious and nobler inhabitants than men and women.  In the hues of October sunsets, we see the portals to other mansions than those which we occupy. ~Thoreau


14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Mary and inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Sherri's words. I must read more Thoreau. He is so right about us being busy outside and doing in the summer, but in the autumn and winter there are fewer distractions and we can be more mindful of the few jewels of colour in the winter hedgerows, and the joys of the autumn colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a joy to visit, your photos are a delight and always thought provoking words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos...

    Amazingly descriptive words...

    How wonderful authors were, to put into words, what many see, but can not describe...

    Happy Autumn to you....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures. I love October for all its beauty. Soon all the leaves will fall and there will be left an emptiness. I envy you and Millie for the sights and sounds you must see and hear daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To think those words were written in the 1800's. It's like Thoreau wrote those inspirational words while walking in your shoes and seeing the beauty of October through your eyes and in your gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy your pictures and quotes, they go hand in hand perfectly! So wonderful to revisit Thoreau's words while looking at your pictures :) Happy to see you around on IG, what fun it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures and Thoreau's words go together perfectly. I love how you love nature and the outdoors...you and Millie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved all the photos and Thoreau's view of the outside world. We do miss quiet times in the beauty of the outside and inside too, because we are so busy and don't stop to see it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always loved Henry David Thoreau and your photos are a perfect blend with his words!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blue bird photo!!! I love your photography, and I love Thoreau. What a post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. October through your eyes and Thoreau's words is incredible. You make me wish I could come along for one of your journeys. You have the perfect world indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post, - pictures and quotes a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete